Chapter 1 - Zoe

'Step, breathe in, step, breathe out' over and over I repeat this. I pick up my pace, I have to beat Edward, or else I'll NEVER hear the end of it. I know you're meant to love your siblings, but he makes it very difficult.

"Hey, hey Zoe"

"What do you want Edward?" I groan, trying not to slow down

"Just wanted to inform you that I am better than you in every way, and I will beat you"

"You wish," I snigger "there's a reason I came out of the womb first, I'm faster, and therefore superior"

I then pick up my speed, and move far enough ahead I can't hear his retort. I run around the corner, and see our house, I'm about 500 meters away, I'm gonna win, I'm actually gonna win. I put on a final burst of speed and go crashing into the living room. I stop, and stand in the doorway, panting for breath. Edward comes through the door looking defeated. I love seeing that look on his face.

"Took you long enough" I taunt

"Shut up" he says, playfully shoving me

I shove him back, then go into the bathroom to have my shower. I walk into my room afterwards to pick out today's outfit. I decide on a plain white shirt, black skater skirt and pink high-tops. Damn I look cute today. I throw my hair in a bun, and head in to see my sister.

"Hey Becca" I say, sitting on the edge of her bed

"Zoe!" she squeals, sitting up to make more room

"How'd you sleep, MeccaBecca?"

"Like a unicorn, only better!"

"That's great MeccaBecca, now promise me you'll be good to mum today"

"I will, promise!"

"Well if you are, we can go to the park once I'm home from school"

"Yay Zoe! Thank you!"

"My pleasure, love you Bec"

"Love you Zoe"

I walk out of Becca's room with a smile on my face, and head to the kitchen to say bye to my mum

"Hey mum, how are you?" I give her a quick hug

"I'm alright, Matt kept me up all night though"

"3 month olds, am I right" I say, still smiling

"Not as bad as 4 years olds, like our little Becca" she says, returning my smile

"Yeah, apparently she slept like a unicorn last night"

"Oh in the name of the scientists, today's gonna be a long day"

"I told Becca if she's good, we can go to the park this afternoon, so hopefully she'll be well behaved for that"

"Hopefully. Oh good and mighty scientists look at the time, you and Edward better get going, you don't wanna be late on your first day of year 11"

"Alright, love you mum" I lean in and give her a goodbye kiss. Then, Edward and I walk out to our bus stop, ready for another boring day of high school.

I walk into the school, looking around for my friends

"Zoe, oi, over 'ere deafhead"

"Hey Gene" I smile at Eugene, my best friend of 16 years. He's lived in the street next to ours as long as I've been alive

"It's Eugene, and you know it jerk"

"Oh, I know, but it's just more fun to be mean to you" I shove him and he laughs