The Wolf and The Queen

the wolf and the queen

By: Jonah Olson

My breaths are slow and silent. Crouching I eyed my prey in the distance. It's been weeks since the pack had eaten last. I could hear its calm heartbeat. Hunger fueled me, but I had to be smart. If we didn't catch the stag, we would surely starve. My hind legs tense as I lunge forward sinking my teeth into the beast's neck. It struggles for moments as it's life fades away. A much-needed end to the hunt. The cold was coming soon. Food would be scarce and some of his pack would pass.

I drag the beast back to the den. Hunts like this reminded me of my old life as a man. Cursed with the ability to transform at will. People shunned me and tried killing me until the day I decided to stay in my wolf form. I was accepted and eventually became an Alpha in my pack. It had been many winters since I was last a man.

I reached the den as the other wolves howled in excitement. They ate as I walked away. In retrospect I never wanted to lead a pack. I truly did want a normal life as a man. I imagined myself having a farm, a wife and children, maybe even a pet. I found it funny however that I turned out to be an animal myself. In some ways I have that now. A family that relies on me for guidance especially in the hard times. I've grown accustomed to it in the time. However, the thought remained on what my life could have been if I weren't a monster

I reached the den as the other wolves howled in excitement. They ate as I walked away. In retrospect I never wanted to lead a pack. I truly did want a normal life as a man. I imagined myself having a farm, a wife and children, maybe even a pet. I found it funny however that I turned out to be an animal myself. In some ways I have that now. A family that relies on me for guidance especially in the hard times. I've grown accustomed to it in the time. However, the thought remained on what my life could have been if I weren't a monster. I sit watching over my pack from a distance. I enjoyed the seclusion sometimes. They are simple creatures that thrive from instinct and the want to hunt and breed. It's the animal in them. I on the other hand have the mind of a man, or at least had the mind of a man.

I hear soft footsteps approach as I turn my head to see a female. From the smell I could tell she was in heat. I snarled at her as she tried to force herself onto me. She bows apologetically and walks away. Although wolf in form I never mated with them. I felt like it was improper. I spent three nights chasing the stag and now am very tired. I curl up near a rock and fall asleep.

Nightmares flooded my mind every night for as long as I could remember. Horrible visions of my deepest fears coming to fruition. I wake up thrashing my claws into the rock howling. The pack quickly runs to my aid. They gather around me sniffing the air. I calm their fears as I walk away. I spend a lot of my time alone. I fought like hell to survive and wound up being their alpha when the old one had gone mad. I wanted to live, but they wanted a leader. The following morning, I was on patrol of the den.

A shrill scream erupts through the woods. It was a woman's scream. I sprinted to her. I made sure to run on my toes so the only one that knows I am coming is me. I found a clearing. I heard horses galloping. A woman came through the clearing running as fast as she could. I heard horses galloping. She was beautiful. Long red hair beautifully piercing eyes. Hidden I watched as the men swarmed in on her. Three of them all armed as the tackled her to the ground. I feel a familiar rage course through me as I watch them try to rip off her dress. I couldn't control myself as I lunged at them. They have swords, but I have so much more. I tore through the first man as if he were a rabbit. The other two stopped what they were doing and drew their swords pointing at me. I circled them. I wanted their blood so bad. I knew what they were going to do. They deserved the fate I was more than happy to give them.