Kalank: A saga of one-liners and eyeliners

What might seem like a magnificent piece of drama from the trailer, turns out to be 2 hours and 46 minutes long example of everything that can go wrong in a multi-starrer, high budget film. The film disappoints not only with vague and over-dramatized dialogues but also with the visuals which after a while started looking unwanted. It is a world full of people who use eye-liners and one-liners in bulk. Every word uttered by the characters in this film has been tried to look like it is asking for validation from the audience. Written by Abhishek Varman who is also a co-writer along with Shibani Bhatija, goes off the track or never was on track, to begin with. Flawless sets and symmetric camera movements rather than complementing the film mostly seemed overdone and were totally offbeat with the narrative. A lot of effort has gone into making the actors look visually stunning however the character of these actors in itself is a cliché and hold no gravitas. As the story unfolds itself, the sequences are unconvincing and expect the audience to accept the way it is.

The film is way too long and seems never-ending as the entire plot keeps revolving around similar sequences. Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan try to give their best for this film, but with such less scope for an outstanding performance because of the writing of the film, they disappear too in this entire mess. Madhuri Dixit, the lady with infinite grace stole a few moments in the film whereas Aditya Roy Kapur's performance was anything but memorable. The film has its few ups in a galaxy of downs. By omitting a few scenes, like one where Zafar (Varun Dhawan) fights with a bull to give a story for her article to Roop (Alia Bhatt), the film would have been crisper and the audience wouldn't have to watch the third grade VFX scenes. The only element that might stay with the audience is the outstanding cinematography by Binod Pradhan and the production design of the film. It is a waste of a bunch of brilliant actors and a moderately good story. Alia Bhatt's dialogue while talking to Varun Dhawan "Tum kisi baat ka seedha jawab kyun nahi dete?" kind of summarizes the entire film in 9 words.

#KalankReview #YourReviewOnFC