Chapter 4 - Transition

*Alex Hunter*

Every sound sent pain pulsing through every fibre in my body.

My body began to obey my brain. Slowly I cracked my eyelids open. Staring around me until the green and black blur faded out. I was lieing on my chest, a freezing sensation rushed along the channels of my body and gave me a shock as I noticed my location. I was in a thick and boggy swamp.

How did I get here. The last thing I remember was being with Rashel in my estate. My arm stretched an sunk straight down into the mud. I staggered but caught my balance. The thick and ice cold mud made it very difficult for me to walk. Shivers races down my spine.

My foot got stuck and my body soon followed slamming into the bog on my knees. The chill crawled to my chest taking all the energy I had left.

"A-.... ANYONE!" I yelled desperatly. "Please... help" I coughed inbetween words. My throat tightened.

A force pulled me back and grasped my hair. I yelled squinting my eyes. Another hand helt my chin making it had for me to move my head. I froze and my eyes widened. At the corner of my eye a face crept up from the left and the hand that helt my hair pulled my head in my right hand direction, exposing my bare neck.

"So... you thourght you stood a chance boy!?"

I flicked my eye to see who the attacker was. The only feature I made out was a frightening fire red eyes. I screamed as two sharp teeth pierced my neck. A huge cold rush shook every vein in my body. I opened my eyes for real this time returning to reality.

My whole enviroment changed instead of a swamp I am laid down face down on the ground with the waves pushing and pulling. I was at the edge of the lake a recent distance from my home. My whole suit was soaking and parts were stained red. How did I get into the lake?

I widened my eyes are something strong pushed inside my lungs forcing me to bend up and  coughed up the water that was filled in my body. My hands shook.

I moved my arms closer to my chest and pushed myself up. Breathing fast I crawled over to where it was dry. My body was so weak. I pulled myself up onto a bed of rocks and sat down. What happened last night? I looked down and saw that my suit was soaking and holes and ribs covered its fine material. I moved my hand around my neck and got startled by what I felt. Two holes on my neck, there was no blood just the flesh slighting overing the skin.

I didnt care about answers right now, I just wanted to get changed and warm.

The long walk home was extremly painful and very uncomfortable. I have no idea how I am going to explain this to my father. I could not even explain if i tried I did not even understand. My expensive suit was still damp and blood ruined the crisp white designs on the shirt and waist coat.

 The mansions front gates bent into view from the hill I scaled. Hot breath brushed past my lips. I panted, completely exhaused and weak. I took my last step that i could and collapst on the floor. My body was completely immobile and i could not go any further.

"Fa-ther?...." I coughed "Anyone...?" I slammed my head into the ground, lying there. Unmoving.

The ground shook and got more louder until a hand spread on my face, then moved my hair. I cracked my eyelids open and could not make out an image.

"Oh gosh... Mr Hunter!" A female voice cracked. "SOMEONE HELP! IT IS MR HUNTER!"

My view cleared, showing me a crowd of people around me. There hands were on there mouths and were muttering to each other."Not another attack... this is the third one this week?... What about the townsfolk" They all muttered to each other.

A man walked up and forced two men out of the way and gasped. "ALEX!" My father bent down and put his palm on my cheek. For the first time in my life his face showed concern and worry. My heat stopped beating for a second. The weakness that possessed my body, speech seemed impossible.

"Everyone... Move. This is not some pubilcity event. On your way or i will involve the enforcers"  My father's speech was demanding and angry.

The air around me loosened and the sun rays blinded my eyes. The crowd it seemed backed off. My father was a figure that everyone found hard to ignore.

The crowd subsided and my father picked my up with both hands carefully. Within minutes I was carried into the mansion and laid down on my bed. As I predicted, two nurses were called and on there way from the onsite infirmary. I was fine i just needed to get rested up. I am not sure why they were called.

A knock came from the door and two nurses walked in. "Evening, Mr Hunter... You father sent us to check up on you" She walked forward and had a large bag with her, examining my wounds.

I waved my hand. "I am fine, there is no need for the complications" I sat up. "I am just having a rest, I will notify you if something is wrong. That is all, thank you" I spoke with a gentle tone. There was no need in being rude, they were only doing as they were told.

 All my body wanted right now was a deep soak and a hot bath. My suit was that muddy and damp, it felt like I had to tear it off my skin. My bare skin was covered in dirt and scratches. Water had been boiled and placed into a bath. Towels neatly folded on a small table situated next to it. Sat on top was a bucket full of unused assortments of soaps.

I washed up, every inch of my skin stung from the steam and the hot water as it touched the surface. I stepped out, grabbing a towel as I went. I was in the privacy of my own bathroom and a locked door. I took a pair of crisp new black trousers and a bleach white shirt.

I walked slowly to the man size mirror, drying my face and hair. I finally looked at myself after the whole ordeal. My shirt was unbuttoned and to my surprise. My chest was completely clear. No scratches, bruisers or even marks. I stepped closer lowering my eyebrows and I did.  

I jerked my shoulder and then the other one to take off my shirt. It dropped to the ground. To my surprise, my chest was toned. I had muscles and bends. One does not get this over night. Guiding my hands over the muscles, and up to my neck.  I breathed heavy. Two perfect circle holes. I ran my finger over them as they bend over the holes.

I jumped as the silence was pierced but a loud knock. "Alex?... "

I scurried and picked up my shirt and threw it on as fast as I could. I looked at my reflection and buttoned my shirt up all the way. One last check as I tugged the shirt's collar so that the holes were hidden.

The bolt clanked as it slid along to unlock the door lock. I opened the door greeting my father with a smile.

"How are you feeling?" He said calmly. "I came up to check up on you. The nurses said you were fine and asked for no assistance" His circle framed glasses rested on the bridge of his nose. His piercing blue eyes asked a thousand questions with one look.

"Yes, I was just in need of rest" I muttered. I still felt his vibe, like he was angry with me.

"Alex?" He placed his hand on my back and guided me to sit on the bed. "Do you remember anything..." He squinted his eyes speaking with a surprising soft tone. "Anything at all?"

I opened my mouth but I had nothing to say. I could not remember anything, I do not know I got there or why scratches were covering my body, or even why my suit was completely soaking. "I am not to sure... I think I might of had to many drinks" I lied. That was the first excuse that came to mind.

He looked at me for a second before dropping the question for the moment. "Do you recon that was a way for a man to act?..." He questioned. My father was an intelligent man and I could tell he had  suspicions. I would hear about this later.

"No. It was not" I responded almost straight after.

"We will discuss this later... in the mean time, rest up" A hand pattered my shoulder and his dead emotionless face cracked a smile. I smiled back and lowered my head.

The air in the room was silent. I bent my body and laid down. The wood on the bed creaked. I took a moment and closed my eyes and rested. My body had never felt so relaxed. My eyelids flicked and rolled down. I let it defeat me and I fell into a much needed deep sleep.