Chapter 1

Sink

"Stop chewing on that," Lisa snapped yanking my finger out of my mouth.

"I can't help it. I'm freezing and starving," I murmured trying to keep the shiver out of my voice. Stepping to the side, I looked at the line to get into the club. It was too long tonight; there was no way we were getting inside.

Lisa went back to fidgeting with her blond curls. "Would you relax. Tirades will open soon. Half of those inside will leave, and we'll get in. Just chill. You will never survive the streets if you whine all the time."

"Chilling isn't a problem." Since the music was audible outside, I started dancing on the spot to keep warm.

Lisa had been on the streets for six months now. When we met a few weeks ago, she made it sound so much more appealing than my home situation, so I'd packed the measly belongings I owned and joined her. We spent the nights clubbing so we were inside and warm, and the days at the university, sleeping in the library or stealing people's scraps in the cafeteria between classes - Easier done than you would think. You just carried a dishcloth, wiped a table as you collected a tray, and walked off.

Lisa's big brown eyes latched onto my hand as I lifted it to my mouth again. With a huff, she started playing with my dark hair. "We'll be fine, Mess. Stop fretting, okay?" Nodding, I forced myself to relax.

"Ladies." A man materialized out of the darkness next to us. Truthfully, he'd probably been leaning on the lamp post there, and I just hadn't paid attention to him until he spoke to us. Lisa's eyes widened, her shoulders rolled back so that her small breasts were the focal point in their push up bra. Knowing that move already, I lifted my eyes to see just how good looking this man was.

If I were to describe him, it would be in one word. Shadowed. The man was good looking, but to me, he seemed to surrounded by shadows which made him blurry and stopped me from really describing his features in detail. Dark hair, but no specific color, dark eyes that I wouldn't say were brown, and an average complexion. The man wore all black, so in the pale streetlight, the only color on him was his mouth. Red, as if he'd just finished eating pomegranates.

"You look like girls out for a night of fun. I'm heading to an underground nightclub that stays open till dawn. I wouldn't mind a beautiful entourage."

"What's the entry cost?" Lisa flirted while she sussed it out.

"Free," he advised, typing something into his phone. "There's food too. In fact, it's the owners birthday tonight, so he's catering."

He had Lisa's interest now. "Where's this club?"

"Just outside of town. I'm heading there now if you want to join me?"

Lifting her pale brow in challenge, Lisa scoffed. "Cause I'm stupid enough to go off with a strange man."

The man smirked. "There's a bus. It picks up other patrons, so no one drinks and drives. The owner is very big on the safety of his patrons." He pointed up the street where a bus was approaching. It was painted black with purple neon lights along the sides. "I'm Gus, by the way." Stepping to the curb, Gus waved down the bus.