Chapter Four

When Peter wakes up, he can't help but feel disappointed that they're still in the same cement room.

He's still curled against Harley's chest who's asleep as well, leaning back against the wall. Morgan is in the far corner of the room, passed out.

His throat is dry, every breath scraping at his lungs, and he can't seem to find the energy to move away from the warmth of Harley's body.

Everything hurts and honestly, he just wants his dads.

It doesn't matter though. It never does.

It's just Peter, Harley, and Morgan, and Peter needs to protect his siblings no matter what that'll entail for him.

Harley stirs beside him, somehow sensing that Peter's woken and he immediately tightens his grip on his brother's body as he comes to.

"You okay?" Harley immediately asks, dipping his head to catch sight of Peter's dazed expression. "Does anything hurt?"

Peter grimaces as he struggles to get his burning muscles to cooperate. He doubts he could even stand let alone break them out of this prison. He feels utterly useless.

"Everything," Peter says, breaking into a coughing fit.

"They never brought us food," Harley murmurs suddenly as he pats Peter's back to help him regain control of his lungs. "Fuck... They promised us food... Never mind that, what happened to you? What did they do to you?"

Peter's leg muscles cramp at the memory of being shocked into running.

Running and running and running.

"Did- Did they let you shower?" Peter asks instead. "And eat?"

"Yeah. Did you- Fuck, Peter, did you obey them just so we could shower?" There's anger clouding his expression but it's all to cover up the panicky worry that fills his system.

"I had to," the teenager says, bottom lip trembling as he clumsily fists Harley's new shirt to assure him that they're still together. "I had to. They- They had guns and... And I couldn't just- just let them hurt you."

"God, Peter," Harley mutters, rolling his eyes dramatically but they're undeniable watery. "Fuck. You can't just- I don't know why you insist on carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. I don't know why I can't seem to get it through your head that you matter."

Peter sniffles half-heartedly, curling closer to Harley's warmth and clutching his shirt in his hand like it'll really make a difference. It doesn't matter how tight he holds on, at the end he'll still go with Elodie and Luc if it means keeping his siblings safe.

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you, but Dad would care just as much if he lost you as if he lost Morgan. Just because you were only adopted last year, doesn't make you less important. They still love you," Harley says, voice shaking with his anger and fear.

Peter nods like he understands. "Gotta keep you safe," he says.

"You need to keep yourself safe too. You need to be fucking selfish for once in your life. I don't want to have to tell Dad and Pops that you didn't make it out. I can't- I can't have that on my conscience."

The hero doesn't answer, just pushes his head against the crook of Harley's shoulder and lets his shoulders relax.

He's confused and scared and worried, but Harley's here and Harley will keep him safe. He knows that much.

*

Tony's searching through all the security footage he can when the email pops up on his screen.