Can't say no

Chapter 3

“Wait!” A voice called from behind me.

I span round in confusion wondering who on earth would be talking to me. I don’t have any friends here.

“It’s Ryan. You do remember me? Don’t you.” He said laughing.

“Sure, err... hey?” I awkwardly replied. “What did you want me for?”

“That religious education homework we were set, would you be my partner?” He asked.

I had no idea what to reply at that point. I mean, how could I be his partner? I couldn’t even think about life after death without having to fight back tears. I couldn’t tell him my personal thoughts. I especially couldn’t tell him about my dad.

Maybe it was the understanding look in his eyes? Or maybe it was just his cute, rich brown, curly hair and his gorgeous dark eyes? Anyway, what came out of my mouth next was a total surprise.

“Yes of course.” I replied. “I’d like that.”

What the bloody hell was I thinking? I wanted so badly to turn around and run away. I wanted to tell him that I couldn’t be his partner. I wanted to do anything other than to work with him and yet I couldn’t make a single word come out of my mouth to say no. What was wrong with me?

“Great, I’ll meet you at the gate tomorrow after school. You better go before you miss your bus.” He waved to me as he walked out of the school gates.

“Bye Ryan.” I whispered to myself as I climbed on the bus and took a seat near the back on my own. I put my noise-cancelling earphones in and drifted into a world of my own.