IV.

Author's Warning: 

This chapter (specifically the second half) is more than a little messed up. Proceed with caution.

It was Yoongi that noticed the weakened piece of metal at the front of the cargo area. Remy had been watching him, trying to recall all of the calming techniques she had been taught for times when she didn't have her medication on hand. He had been running his hand across the bottom of the metal wall when it caught on something, and he tilted his head. He turned back to look at her. She stood and made her way to him, and they both looked at the messy patch over the metal. It looked as if there had been a hole in the wall and someone sloppily covered it with a small piece of sheet metal and two small rusty screws. A shiver went down Remy's spine, wondering if perhaps someone else had been trapped into this cargo area before them and was so desperate they scratched a hole in the wall. Subconsciously, she checked the area for blood.

She shook her head, trying to get rid of the thoughts. Focus, she reminded herself. The driver of the truck, whoever that was, must be on the other side of that wall, Remy reasoned. There had to be a good reason that someone had made a patch. She looked at Yoongi, and it was obvious that he was thinking the same thing.

So they were on the same page. That was good. She looked around the cargo area to see if there was anything they could use to break the old screws. Her eyes landed on the ridiculous stilettos that were half-haunting her, and she almost burst into laughter. They would do the trick, honestly. And if they didn't, she would be getting a refund for the Italian-made shoes. That was, of course, if she got out of this alive.

Remy handed one to Yoongi and he raised an eyebrow.

"Seriously?" he said.

She shrugged. "Hey, don't knock it 'til you tried it."

"What?"

She blushed. "Sorry. It's a figure of speech." Remy tried to cover up her foolishness by using the shoe to hit the rusty screw on her side. Granted, smacking something with a blue stiletto did not help to cover up feeling silly.

Yoongi shrugged, then started doing the same thing.

It didn't last long before smiles started playing on their faces though, and they stopped working to look at each other and burst into laughter.

For just those brief few seconds when they were staring at each other, laughing, it seemed like everything was different. It seemed like they had known each other for years and were in a perfectly safe place. When the gravity of the situation weighed down on them again, they stopped laughing, but Remy couldn't help but feel that something had changed between them. She was so distracted by the feeling, in fact, that she hadn't noticed she had broken the small piece of metal until Yoongi pointed it out.

"Remington!" he whisper-yelled, and she stopped her hammer-stiletto midair.

"Huh," she said, looking at the broken metal. The patch was coming up on one side. It also seemed that Yoongi had taken the less destructive route of getting the damn screw out - he'd hit it until he was able to untwist it with his fingers, which he started doing as she watched. Remy winced when she saw a few drops of thick red blood drip down his hand from his fingers, but Yoongi didn't even flinch.

Almost humorously, his work was made useless when the pointy piece of rust broke halfway through, landing with a strangely loud noise. He fished the other part out of the wall. The piece looked like something straight out of a horror flick, as it was all rusty and dangerously sharp-looking in the darkness. He held the piece of metal in place on the wall with his other hand.