Chapter 1

"Dean."

Someone prods my cheek with a cold finger an I swat the hand away.

"Dean, you have to wake up."

"Nu-uh," I mumble, burrowing deeper into the mattress.

"Dad's gonna be pissed if you're not awake soon."

I crack my eyes, glaring at Sam with fake resentment. "Maybe I don't care."

Sam smirks at me, brushing his long hair out of his eyes. "Yes you do. Besides, if you don't get up, I'll use up all the hot water and you won't be able to shower for school."

My eyes widen. "School starts today?!"

Sam laughs and stands, heading to the door. "Yup. Bus'll be here in forty minutes."

"Oh god." I struggle to untangle myself- and most annoyingly of all, my wings- from the mess of blankets I keep piled on my bed.

"Calm down, Dean," Sam advises, suddenly serious in that way that only my little brother can manage. "School will be fine. Maybe you'll even make some friends."

"I don't make friends." I bit back a yelp of pain as my left wing twists at an uncomfortable angle as I pull it free.

Sam looks at me with pity in his eyes and I feel an instinctive flash of anger which I quickly shove aside. Sammy's my baby brother and the only person who accepts me. I can't be mad at him.

"Try and be more positive, hm?" He suggests quietly. "And don't worry. I already showered. You have the bathroom all to yourself." He steps out of my room, closing the door softly behind himself.

I sigh and stand, stretching my arms over my head to try and work some of the kinks out of my back from my night of crappy sleep. My wings flare out with the motion and I flinch. I know it's not actually something I can stop, since I can't voluntarily control those particular muscles, but it scares me. Not only are my wings the worst hing that's ever happened to me, they're also enormous, freaky, and ugly.

"Nice going, Winchester," I mutter, staring at my reflection in the mirror on my closet door. I avoid looking at my wings and distract myself with wondering why anyone would put a floor length mirror in a closet.

"You better be awake, Dean!" My dad calls up the stairs and I instantly start moving around my room, digging a change of clothes out of various boxes.

"I'm up, dad!" I call hastily. "About to go get in the shower!"

He gives a noncommittal grunt and wanders off. I take a deep breath and clutch my clothes close to my still bare chest before making a dash for the bathroom, praying to whatever deity might exist that no one sees me.

Thankfully I make through the hallway unseen. I quickly turn the lock and dump my stuff on the floor before going to turn on the shower. I turn the dial as high as it will go, filling the bathroom with deliciously warm steam before stripping off my boxers and stepping into the shower.

I sigh in relief as the hot water hits my skin. Ever since the awful day that my wings appeared, I've never been able to get warm enough. Even on hot summer days, it still feels cold to me, though not like you would expect. Like its hot but there's a chill in the air that won't go away.

I'm actually grateful for my inability to be warm when I go in public, of course. I'm never hot or flushed even though I wear large, heavy clothes all year.

A banging in the door eventually interrupts my blissful state. "Ten minutes, Dean!" Sammy calls.

I swear under my breath and scramble out of the shower, knowing that my wings are going to still be damp. "Thanks for the heads up!" I try not to let sarcasm leak into my voice but a little does.

"Sure thing, man," Sam grumbles and I can hear him striding away on his oversized feet as I hurriedly dry myself off.

What a great way to start my first day at a new school.

*Please comment! If you have any suggestions for the story, or you just liked something, please tell me!*