Funeral

"New Directions I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant Jesse St. James," Mr. Schue announces as he enters the choir room, walking side by side with one Jesse St. James. 

Naturally, I scowl at the sight of him, "I don't trust this guy."

"He's gonna trick us into doing something stupid so his alma mater wins," Finn adds, glaring at Rachel's ex-boyfriend's triumphant return. 

 Jesse smirks at him, unphased by the glares he was receiving from nearly everyone in the room, "I don't need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn."

"Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls. I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get because this is it. We've been working so hard for two years for this moment, and that moment is finally here. I was talking with Jesse and he agreed we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet."

Finn quickly blurts out, stealing a glance at his ex-girlfriend seated across the room, "Rachel and I should sing a duet. We killed it last year at Regionals with "Faithfully"."

"Yeah. It killed us. We lost," Puck points out, reminding him of the performance's ranking. 

Jesse looks to Mr. Schue, a glimmer of a scheme brewing, "May I? I agree that Rachel should sing lead, but, Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. The fact is, most of the other guys in here are better singers and Mike Chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. I've never even heard the other Jolly Green Giant sing but he's still probably better than you. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop."

We all start laughing our asses off, taken for a loop for his humorous shot at Finn's ability. Finn looks at me, making me hold in my laughter, "You see what I'm talking about? This guy's a jerk!" 

Mr. Schue suppresses a smile, turning to Jesse with the look of disapproval, "Maybe you could be a little gentler with your advice."

"Gentle? I'm sorry. I didn't realize we were training for the "Good Try" ribbon at Nationals. I thought we were in it to win the whole thing, and there's only one way we can do that."

"Poison darts?" Kaydon and I suggest together, earning many snickers and high-fives from our friends. 

Jesse gives me a death glare, unappreciative for my commentary, "The Vocal Adrenaline strategy is simple. Identify your best performer and build the entire performance around them."

"So what does everyone else do?" Puck asks. 

"And who's our star performer?" Tina asks and, in a very strange and unpredictable turn of events, a large majority of them looked at me while the rest glance at Rachel. 

Mr. Schue looks to me for a moment, "We're gonna have auditions to find out. I'm gonna post a sign-up sheet later this afternoon."

"Don't you think this is kinda not our style?" Finn asks. 

"Normally I'd agree with you, but this is the big time. I think we should listen to Jesse."

Everyone leaves aside from Puck and I, going about their days. I'm obsessively looking at my texts from Jackson, contemplating whether or not to tell Puck about him, about it, when Puck tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Lia are you going to sign up to audition?" 

I look up, shocked by the random question, "No. I'm not. I don't feel like stepping on anyone's toes. I've got a lot on my mind that I need to figure out."