Chapter 1: Family

A slight pain shoots through my feet as they take turns smacking the cold morning dirt. Crisp air flows through the strokes of my long brunette hair. I turn my head around to see the natural waves in my hair bouncing in the wind. I'm running.

Then I slide my feet together and come to a holt. My whole body shakes as it remains to keep balance. The sun peaks it's eyes over the hill and stares at me as it's figure arises up into their sky.

Orange, red, and yellow burst through the sky and the colors mix with the twilight sky there once was.

My eyes stare at the miles and miles of hills and mountains that stand tall off the ground you cannot see. Hooves pound the ground and make a sound of thunder as the stampede of horses make their way from west to east. Freedom and liberty fills the air, along with grass and dirt.

I sit down on the hill and take it all in. The smell of the cool crisp air, the spectacular sight of beautiful animals running free across the plains- Then something behind me nudges my back.

Fear runs throughout my whole body. A cold chill runs up my spine and to the top part of my neck. I inhale and turn around to see that a tall brown creature with muscular legs and chest. Hot air blows down on my face every time the animal exhales through its nose. A horse stands above me staring, curiously. I hold its gaze.

"Katerina!", my mother's voice echoes in the distance, and over the hills. Her voice is so beautiful and calming that it matches the whistles of the wind. Then I rolled out of my siting position, trying not to ruin my dress, and stood up. I glanced back at the horse, "Goodbye my friend." And began my way back to my home.