5- Ruined

Listen to Older by Sasha Sloan                

I picked up the pregnancy test with shaky hands and read it. I stopped breathing as I stared at the two pink lines. I could feel my body shaking. There had to be a mistake, or the device was faulty.

How is this possible?

"It was one line, I promise. I don't know how ... Ciara, you saw it.Tell them," I stuttered, looking to my sister for help.

She said nothing.

"I will try it again. Give me some time."

"I can't put up with you anymore. You will always trash this family's name. Get your stuff and leave," Mom said.

"The test is wrong," I cried. "You have to believe me. I don't know him. I just saw him for the first time."

I searched their faces for any indication that they believed me, but when Dad shook his head in disappointment and Mom cried more, I knew I had to try harder.

"Mom ..."

"Stop, please," she said, staring at me with puffy eyes and tears wetting her cheeks. "You ruined this family like it's nothing.Why him, Cassandra?"

I opened my mouth to explain, but she continued, "You were using Grey all along. Who are you?" She looked at me like I was possessed and beyond recognition.

"It's me, Mom. It's me, Chloe," I said, trying to touch her but she pulled away from me.

She frantically shook her head, like she didn't want to believe a word from my mouth.

"Dad?" I turned to him to say something, but he remained silent, like he always did, turning a blind eye when I needed him.

He always agreed with Mom.Even if she chose to poison us, he'd pick her side. Sometimes, I wondered if we even mattered to him. He hardly ever stood up to her, even when she yelledand criticized him. He was like a ghost around her with no sense of self.

"Dad, please hear me out."

He turned away and walked to the backyard. My heart sank as tears brimmed my eyes. He shut the door without looking back.

"Dad!" I screamed.

"You were hell-bent on attending the wedding because you couldn't stand the thought of him getting married to Sofia." Ciara jabbed my heart, not helping my situation.

"No. I told you why I wanted to go to the wedding."

"You lied!" she yelled.

Who is this person, and what has she done to my sister?

"Grey was a good guy.Even though I never admitted it, he was much better for you than that man," Mom said.

I didn't know what to say to her.If no one was ready to believe me, then why was I trying?