Chapter Three

Present: A windy field.

Lady of Merica: You'll be fine.

You: And if I'm not.

Lady of Merica: No one said it was going to be easy. It'll take time to adjust to court, just like it did before

You: That life was...a long time ago.

Lady of Mercia: Don't think of it as an old life, think of it as a second chance.

You: I've had enough of second chances.

Lady of Merica: I know how hard it is to start over, but think about what you'd missing by not going.

You: My sister in a loveless marriage, her ladies waiting for loveless marriages, a king no different from any other king who's ever lived, a life bound to a queen on one end and a husband on the other.

Lady of Merica: Political marriages don't have to be loveless or binding as you say. All it takes is two people who are willing to try and not give up, love with come. Maybe not in a spectacular fairytale type way, but it will and when it does you'll know.

You look at her,  roll your eyes and cross your arms.

You: You haven't convinced me, but I suppose I have no choice. So Ms. Aethelflaed of Merica, when do I leave?

Two days later you say your goodbyes to the lord and lady of Mercia, to your friends and you board a ship headed for France. You hated every moment of the journey, not much made you happy except the solace you found looking out at the open sea. Several days pass and you arrive safely in France. As you get off the ship, you see a bunches of horses, but no carriages.

You: Why are they're no carriage?

Captain Smith: I'm sorry my lady, you're arrival is supposed to be kept secret. No one knows you're here.

You: What do they want a big reveal? Hey everybody I'm not dead!

Captain Smith: Something like that.

You: Great....Alright then, get me a horse and I'll ride with the castle guards.

Captain Smith: Yes, your grace.

When you reach the castle, many of the guards turn off and go towards the stables, leaving you with the two you've been riding beside. When you get off the horse you dust yourself off and take a deep breath, trying to calm your nerves.

You: Alright gentlemen. I'm ready.