3

The deafening roar of the Great Hall was not present in the early mornings of September 2nd. A few students milled in small groups around the 4 long, ebony tables.

James sat with his cheek resting on the palm of his hand.He slowly drooped closer and closer to his  bowl of cereal placed in front of him. 

Meanwhile, Fred and Addie were strolling, unrushed, towards James. Noticing his predicament, Fred shot a look at his counter part and quickened his pace until he was situated beside the sleeping boy.

With a slight movement, he had knocked James's arm from under him and with a SPLAT! He landed face first into his cherriowls.

A few colourful words left in a string from his mouth as he rose to his feet and proceeded to chase the darker boy along the pathways in between tables. 

"Idiots." Addie muttered accompanied with a shake of her head as she sat across from where James was seated. A few minutes passed before a bubbly Rox strolled down the aisle and took the empty seat next to her.

"You are looking uncharacteristically cheery this morning!"

"Just had an amazing dream that's all. It was about Aleksander and.." Rox then launched into the in-depth retelling of her fantasy of the Drumstrang boy. As she was rounding up to the end of her dream, Fred and James half walked half jogged back to the opposite side of the table, shoving each other along the way.

Addie rolled her eyes at the two beaming boys, who not only caused a ruckus during the first day but also received a detention each from good old Luthers.

"You guys are certified idiots, I swear to Merlin!" Addie huffed annoyed. The two boys just grinned at her before Professor Longbottom strolled towards them.

"Morning Sir!" James smiled up at his favourite teacher, to which Fred nudged him and whispered "Teacher's pet" under his breath.

"Morning James and Addie, Fred and Rox! How are guys going? Ready for a new year?"

The group all chorused positive answers as he started to give out their timetables for the year.

~~~~

"What class do we have now?" Fred asked, he never ever learnt the timetable as he had one of his best friends at least in every class. 

"Double Potions with the Slytherins ew. At least it's not just the Slytherins like in DADA. I was speaking to Alice Harrows in Hufflepuff and she said there were a good mixture of Ravenclaws and Puffs in this class."

"I swear to Merlin if we get any more classes then double Potions, double DADA and Charms with the Slytherins, I may just knock out Malfoy's teeth." James threatened as he and his three friends reached the classroom. James was fuming if you couldn't tell. He absolutely hated Malfoy and being stuck with him for all classes for two out of five days was not ideal. 

The pair's feud started around about term two of their second year. Each were jealous of the other as Addie was and is best friends with the opposite. As well as both being opposing seekers on two rival teams and their dads being enemies didn't help the two. 

On the other side of the castle was Scorpius and his clique walking to the same classroom to which all fourth year Gryffindors were going as well as a mixture of the other two houses, Potions. 

The classroom slowly filled as Scorpius strutted into the room, resulting a scoff from James, as he sent a smile at his best friend who sat next to the Potter boy.

Shortly after the classroom was filled by the bored fourth years, Professor Slughorn in all his old age and glory waddled into the room. Many people had theroised that the old Sluggy would pass away over the holidays but it was shut down as he was seen at the feast last night. 

"Good Morning Class, welcome to fourth year Potions! Don't get too comfortable right now as we will have a seating plan this year!"

It was because of this, that the class burst into groans and moans. No one ever liked seating plans as every single teacher split up friends and house mates to encourage "diversity" across the year group. 

"Oh quiet now, please and thank you. When you hear you and your partners names you will gather things and move to the designated table. Mr Thelmes and Mr Stylen over here please..."

About halfway through the list did Professor Slughorn reach the two sets of quartets. 

"Third row, left table is Ms Jackson and Mr Lightwood."

Giovanni Lightwood was a Ravenclaw Beater that was exceptionally good looking (according to the girls at Hogwarts) and incredibly smart. He was also one of the kindest guys, aside from in quidditch matches, at Hogwarts.

Gio and Addie smiled at each other as they took their seats before launching into small chit chat while Slughorn finished the seating plan. A few more names passed before James was called.

"Fourth row, left table is Mr Potter and Mr Malfoy." The two boys were reduced to scowls as they angerily snatched up their stuff and threw it down on the table. It was neither of their ideal situation, being seated next to their enemy but both boys were too tired to start any drama.

As Slughorn finished the last pair, the bell had rung signalling the end of the lesson and everyone grabbed their items. 

The quartet rejoined forces right outside the doors and went to move onto their next class.

"Its offical," James started, feeling drained from the lesson, "I hate Potions."