Chapter 20: Unbroken Heart

20

"This isn't actually necessary, you know?" I say as Niall wraps my feet in a blanket. He smiles, but doesn't look up.

"Shut up an eat your soup," he says. I laugh and turn my attention back to the television, which is playing an episode of Game of Thrones that I have no intention of watching. But Niall insisted on putting it on, telling me it was the most important show on the planet.

I sit up, watching Niall as he kicks off his sneakers and sits awkwardly at tbs and if the sofa. He intently watches the episode as I watch him. I admire his profile, especially small details like the length of his eyelashes and the arch of his nose. He looks warm. So warm. And I'm so cold.

"Come here."

"Huh?"

"Come here," I say again.

He smirks, crawling over and laying beside me. He stretches out one arm, allowing me to use it as a pillow, and using the other one to pull me in. I wedge my knee between his legs in an attempt to get closer. My face is inches from his, and at this distance I can see how blue - how pure his eyes are. I notice that his left eye has a yellow island on the iris. I close my eyes and listen to the sound of his breathing.

"Lily," he says in a voice softer than a whisper. I open my eyes.

"Yeah?"

He moves his head closer, nudging my nose with his. "Can I kiss you?" he breathes.

I reach up and pull him closer, pressing my lips against his. His hands grip my waist as he opens his mouth a bit. He tastes like banana and cherries, and I trace my fingers through his hair and down his neck. I have never been kissed before, but the gesture turns out to be very easy. The hunger I feel to have him against me is unbearable as I pull him closer and closer. His lips are soft and sweet and his body is warm and everything about him at this moment is irresistible.

Then he rolls over so that he's hovering above me, trailing kisses along my jaw and down my neck. I softly moan as he leaves light, feathery kisses on my skin and I grip his shoulders.

He brings his head back up, kissing me once again on my mouth, before breaking away and resting his forehead on mine. We stay like that for a while as we share the same breath. I finally understand what it feels like to have an unbroken heart.

Then he climbs off me and sits again, with his face forward in silence. I do the same. We quietly watch the show for a long time as the both of us secretly think about what just happened. I can tell he wants to say something but is too afraid to do so. So am I.

But still I somehow gather up the courage to say, "Can I um... Can we?-" but before I can finish my question, his lips are against mine again, and I sink into the cushions with my arms around his neck.