XV. The Tragical Romance

A/N - LAST CHAPTER!!!! Sit, relax, enjoy and remember: don't play the song until I tell you to! Don't forget to comment and vote!

CHAPTER XV

The Tragical Romance

in which the end of a story marks the beggining of a new one

"I can't believe my eyes" a tall, tan-skinned, bearded man said. "This is finally happening". His dark eyes were fixed upon the sight of a surprisingly not nervous young man.

Gilbert Blythe smiled as his reflection in the dusty mirror. He was wearing one of his father's old suits. He had tried to comb his hair, or at least make it look decent for the ocassion — although he had failed miserably; those curls were untameable, and they would remain like that forever. "It's just a ball" the boy chuckled as tried to fixed his tie. "I'm not getting married"

"Yet"

Had it been another day, Gilbert would have gotten terribly mad at his friend's remark and denied everything nervously. However, he just blushed a bit and smiled fondly at his friend, Sebastian Lacroix. "Are you going to tell her today?" the man asked, leaning against the door frame. He had watched those two fall in love slowly — well, at least Anne, considering that the Blythe boy was head over heels since the very first moment he saw her — and he was more than ready for them to finally admit their feelings to each other.

"Yes" the boy simply answered; his words were determinant and sure.

A eight-month pregnant Mary walked into the room, standing beside her husband, who wrapped his arm around her back. "Gilbert" Mary said, making the boy turn around.

"Mm?"

"That tie... looks awfully messy, young man" she said, pointing at his outfit. "Let me fix that for you"

He stratched the back of his neck as Mary's hands fixed his tie. "I have to say I tried my best"

"Apart from that..." the woman said, as she took a few steps backwards to observe the boy. "You look very handsome"

"Indeed" Bash chuckled. "I dare to say a certain red-haired princess is going to be delighted to see you this evening"

"Well" Gilbert's eyes drifted away, imagining that certain red-haired girl, walking into the Ball holding onto his arm. "I wouldn't say she'd be content with being just a princess, but a warrior instead". And with that said and a confident yet still foolish smile on this face, Gilbert Blythe aimed towards the main door and left the house as the two adults watched him from the distance.

The last days of April were highlighting the awaited arrival of spring. Avonlea was not as cold as it used to be; the air was still a bit chilly, but the colors of the incoming seasonal change were popping out in every single corner of the scenery — bursting flowers, never-ending fields of green grass, and a clear blue sky in the horizon that in that exact moment was mixed with pink, purple and orange, due to the early hours of the evening.

Gilbert walked down the path, leaving his house behind. He thought about how particularly beautiful everything looked that evening. Maybe it was the arrival of spring or maybe it was the fact that he was in love. He read once that your own feelings can change your perception of the events and your surroundings. Interesting, he thought as he smiled to himself, remembering a passage of Anne's favourite novel.