girls

After seeing the girl at the window, I made a hobby of staying in my room and watching outside. I watched every day for one week from 9-10:00 in the morning. It gave me something to do anyway.

Eventually I wrote a note and attached it to a rock I had found outside before.

Hey, can we talk?

It's been two weeks now and I sat to look out the window. I saw her again. I quickly opened the window and threw the rock as best I could. It landed a few feet in front of her.

She picked it up, opened the note, smiled, and looked up to my window. I locked eyes with her. This could be it.

She nodded yes.

I rushed out of my room. Now all I had to do was get past Pogo and Mom, which shouldn't be too hard. But if they do see me, I'll just say I was done with my studies and going to go for a walk.

Mom and Pogo were nowhere to be seen and all of the others were in the rooms except Diego. He was working with Dad.

As I walked to the where I had seen her, I realized the fence was too tall to see over. And I might get in trouble if I open the gate... but I knew she was worth the risk.

I rushed to the gate and unlocked it. Even if Dad was watching me, I didn't care. She smiled as I invited her in.

"Hello." Her voice was soft but assertive.

"Hi, I'm S-" no I had a name now "Ben. Ben Hargreeves. "

"I knew a Ben once... I'm Galena Ray." She smiled, waiting for me to do something.

"Um. There's a bench by those bushes over there if you want to go." I looked down the stone pathway leading to a marble bench that was built who knows when.

"I'd love to." Wow. Her smile.

I didn't know what to say to her. The whole "girls" thing was still new to me. We didn't interact with many kids our age. I just knew Allison, Vanya, and now Mom.

Galena was like Allison. That was good because I got along with Allison really well, sometimes even playing games with each other. But however much she was like Allison, there was something about her that was... better. I couldn't really place it but she was different.

"So do you live here?" She asked.

"Yeah. Yeah I do."

"I thought this was some sort of academy." She looked confused.

"It is. But not really. Well, um. That's what Dad calls it. We have our lessons and stuff here."

"Oh. I understand."

It was hard to talk to someone I've never met before. I didn't know anything I should say or what she liked or if she liked me.

"You're pretty." I spit it out like the words were poison. They were. Stupid Ben. Why would you even say that. That's weird.

She smiled. "Oh. Um, thank you."

I need a subject change.

"Do you live around here?" I asked.

"Yes, a block away. Just me and my older sister. My parents died five years ago... but my sister takes care of me."

"Oh I'm sorry." How can I continue this without being weird? "I just have my Dad. But we just got a new Mom. She's really nice. My brother says she's a robot though." That sounded dumb...

Galena thought it was funny. It made me feel good to see her laugh. I made a mental note I should do that more often.

"She must be a really good mother to keep the house clean." She looked over the building, through all of the windows, like she had done when I had see her out of my bed room window. "It's really big. How many live there?"

I had to think for a few seconds, counting everyone in my head.

"Ten, including me. I have four brothers and two sisters. My favorite is Klaus. He's the one that thinks Mom is a robot. One of the dead nannies told him so. I only know because we're best friends now."

"Wow! That's a lot." She laughed. "I wish I could meet them."

"Maybe you will someday..." I smiled at the very thought. It must have been weird too because she didn't answer.

"Wait a minute. How did your brother talk to her if she's dead?"

"Oh, that's his power. All of us have powers." It seemed so weird to say that in such a casual tone.

"Do you have powers?" Her eyes lit up with excitement.

"Yeah... I don't like them though. It hurts. I don't want to talk about it." I looked down to my lap.

"Oh. Okay. That's cool, though. I wish I-"

"Gal! Galena! Where are you?"  There was a girl yelling nearby.

"Oh! That's my sister." Galena quickly explained as she jumped up. "Sorry, I really have to go. It's been nice talking to you. You're nice. I can come back tomorrow, if you'd like."

I stood as she did. "Yeah, I'd like that a lot. I can wait for you here."

She smiled. "Goodbye, Ben. See you tomorrow then, I guess."

"Yeah, see you then." I couldn't help but smile in return. "Bye." I smiled and then she was gone. I made sure to lock the gate and made my way back inside.

Klaus was waiting for me at the door. "Well, well, well. And I don't suppose you're going to tell me who that was?"

"Uh, no one. I just met her today."

He smirked. "Sure, sure. For all I know you could've been making out. But that's none of my business. At least tell me her name if she's going to be my new sister-in-law."

"Klaus, that's gross. We weren't making out, I promise you. And her name is Galena. "

"Well she was cute. I know you thought so. I wouldn't have wasted any time. I've seen a lot cuter boys though..." He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Yeah well not everyone is like you, Klaus." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"The world would be a lot better place if so." He let out a big sigh and proceeded to laugh at his own conceited humor.

"It would be even more overpopulated, too." I answered, surprised at my own wit.

He looked surprised, too.

"Wow, Ben. That girl is already changing you! I like it. I approve! One-hundred percent." He clapped, smiling to himself. "And now, to plan the wedding..."