Three

Chapter Three | Remembrance

A MINUTE LATER, YOU found Aang by the beach loaded with otter penguins who waddle around squawking. He was chasing some penguins, but unable to catch them as they waddled away.

 He was chasing some penguins, but unable to catch them as they waddled away

        "Haha! Hey, come on little guy. Wanna go sledding?"  He made a gentle leap to catch it, but it slipped away before he could. He landed right in the powdery snow.

        With a puff, he lifted himself off the ground and two penguins ran the other way

With a puff, he lifted himself off the ground and two penguins ran the other way. "Oof! Heh heh, I have a way with animals." He put his arms out and waddled in imitation of the four penguins, copying the sounds the animals made.

Once he saw you, however, he immediately stopped. He looked like a little child getting caught by his mother. It didn't help that your default facial expression was what some might say slightly intimidating.

Aang remembered Katara explaining to him that you were the chief of the village since your father left, and he felt rather intimidated at your gaze. Your presence commanded a unique reverence—ever powerful, yet kind.

Seeing him playing around with the penguins reminded you of your childhood. Sokka, Katara, and yourself would feed the penguins and go sledding on them while accompanied by your mother.

Your six-year-old self watched your sister and brother penguin sledding as you sat between your mother's legs. Your mother hugged you from behind, keeping you in a motherly grip.

Kya felt you tug her coat and she smiled at you. "What is it?"

You flashed a grin and pointed over to a group of otter penguins.

"You wanna go feed them?" Kya asked. You nodded and she handed you a bucket filled with pieces of fish.

You carried your little legs over to the group and were instantly swarmed by them. You began feeding the animals until there was no more fish left. When the penguins realized this, they began to scatter, looking for more food.

Almost everyone left except for a baby penguin and its mother. It looked at you before turning around and disappearing around the cliff.

Giggling, you followed the baby penguin and its mother down the hill and to the edge of the water. The momma penguin dove into the water, the baby following right behind her.