Chapter 2

Finnick ambled towards Nick, carrying a large cardboard box with a Catberry Eggs logo on the side. The smaller fox put the box down and laughed when he saw Nick, who was dressed in a primitive faux reptile-skin costume trimmed with bird feathers. "Th' hell you wearin'?"

"Technically I should be naked, but I'm not sure Fluff's family is ready for that level of historical authenticity." Nick looked concerned as he opened the box and started rummaging through the contents. "So you brought the wooden ones too?"

"Don't sweat it, I already gave 'em to your bunny." Finnick pointed at the box. "You wanted the candy eggs with two humpin' rabbits inside, right? Nick's mouth dropped open and he gaped at the smaller fox, who stared with a deadpan look for a moment before he broke down and howled with glee. After a few moments Finnick stopped laughing and said, "I'm just messin' wichya... they'z all plain borin' candy eggs. Had to get you back, for makin' me sit on the train with all dem bunnies glarin' at me the whole way. Whatchya want all these eggs for anyways?"

Nick scowled. "Thanks for giving me a heart attack. They're to hand out after the play we're putting on. You'll probably recognize it, though Carrots and I made a few changes."

***

Several dozen rabbits, along with a scattering of sheep and a few smaller predators, sat in rows before the stage. The house lights dimmed and a hush fell over the crowd, before a young rabbit stepped onto the darkened stage and began to speak:

Long long ago, a fox found a rabbit hanging over a pit trap. She'd been put there by some large predators as bait to catch one of the carnivorous reptiles that were once common.

The lights came up on stage and revealed Judy dangling in a rope harness over a stage prop that looked like a pit. Nick strutted onto the stage, a fishing rod over his shoulder, and Judy said, "Please Mr. Fox, could you free me? I'd help you if I found you like this."

Nick laughed. "I should just get you down so I can eat you." The lecherous look on his face drew a few giggles from the crowd and a glare from Judy. "But don't worry, I took the Oath, so you're safe."

He gently lifted Judy out of the rope harness and lowered her to the ground. With a small bow, she took her necklace off and presented it to Nick. "Thank you. I'm in your debt. Please take this humble gift." When Nick reached out, Judy moved closer to him and stomped on his foot. The grin on Nick's face quickly turned to a grimace of pain and he stifled a cry while the narrator continued:

To thank the fox, the rabbit gave him a necklace with the mark of her clan on it, and told him she hoped it would bring him luck.

A string dangled from Nick's paw, on which hung a rough piece of wood with a small egg carved on it. He held it up against his clothes before shaking his head, drawing a few more giggles from the audience.

The fox was known to carve wood now and then, and he wasn't impressed with the crude design. He started to tell the rabbit he had no need for this thing, but she had already disappeared into the forest.

The stage lights dimmed and dark shapes could be seen carrying things across the stage as the narration continued:

After fishing for the rest of the day, the fox came home to find he'd been robbed by bandits. The food he'd collected all spring and summer was gone, and with winter fast approaching, the fox found himself in a bad situation. He worked as hard as he could to replenish his food stores, but little was left to be found, and it wasn't long before the fox was in dire straights. He wondered if taking the Oath had been a mistake as he faced the real possibility of starving to death.