P r o l o g u e

Words count: 609
Warnings: mentions of death

You were just a little innocent girl, not knowing anything about the world outside. You just cared about which doll should you play with or which bow in hair matches to your dress more. The only arguemets, which you had were with you friends, when you wanted to play with the blonde doll and your friend just took it from your hand. Or when your mother dressed you and you didn't like the dress, because it was too 'girly' for you.
You always thought that life is like in the fairytales, which your father used to read for you, before you fell asleep. But that's not true. Everything changed for you that one evening, when your nanny walked into your room, sadness painted all over her face.

You were sitting on a chair by the desk in your room, drawing a picture, which you wanted to give your parents when they get back home from some ball. As you were drawing the colorful rainbow, you heard a quiet knocks on your door and the door opening then. You put the pencil down and turned around to see, who was enetering your room. It was your nanny, Jane. You smiled at her and grabbed the picture, wanting to show it to her. When you saw the expression on her face, you didn't understand what was going on.

"Why are you sad? I can draw you a picture too, if you want. This one is for mummy and daddy." you looked up at her and she hugged you. "When are they going to get back home? I want to hear a fairytale from dad," you said.

"They-they, I," she paused, thinking about how to explain, what happened to a four years old child, who was waiting for it's parents. "Your uncle will be there in any minute, I promise." she pulled away from the hug and walked to your closet. "I will pack all your things, okay?" she grabbed your suitcase and started putting your clothes into it. You watched her and wondered what was happening.

As the minutes passed, your uncle finally arrived with a terrified look on his face. You got up from the chair and ran to him. "Uncle Joseph, where is mummy and daddy?" you asked and glanced at the door if they weren't already home. They weren't. "Do you know where they are?" you looked up at him, waiting for an answer. He kneeled down, so he was on same eye level as you were and sighed.
"I don't know how to tell you, sweetheart. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me." he paused, when a tear escaped his eyes. "Promise me, that you will be strong,"

"I am."

"They were driving home and from all of sudden a car, which was driving too fast crashed into them, they had a car accident." your uncle told you. You looked at him, still not understanding what happened. "They-they didn't survive it, sweetheart," your eyes widened. That couldn't happen. You thought it was just a bad dream, which you will wake up from, but it wasn't.
"So, mummy and daddy aren't coming home?" you started sobbing, looking at the door. "I-I am going to be alone?"

"No, of course you won't be alone. I promised your dad that if something bad happen to them, I will protect you and look after you. And I don't break my promises." he hugged you and started comforting you, telling you that everything is going to be okay.

Everything changed that day for you. Life was no longer a fairytale, where everybody lived happy ever after.