The maiden

We passed the night hidden in the back of a farm, and I couldn't believe the maid was still taking care of me. She stayed up half of the night dragging me from place to place, until we could find somewhere to hide. The burden I carried in my shoulders was ripping my righteous mind. If she died on the streets or on our next runaway, she could be killed. I had the perfect chance to run away but, the weather was scorching enough to keep me inside. So I just sat on the hay and waited for her to wake up.
"You didn't run after all" Said the maid while pretending to be sleeping.
"Were you awake all this time?" I asked surprised
"Do you think I would be able to sleep after what happened yesterday?" She asked at the same time she started to sit down "I am actually impressed of you Princess. If I were you, I would never be able to sleep so soundly as you did" She finished while looking at me with a ferocious gaze.
I looked down into the hay "I have never met my father, and my mother was a women of many faces. The only place I knew was my room" then, with a serious look I said "If I had to cry for someone, it wouldn't be for my parents"
"As I said, very impressive princess" she said while returning to her sharp gaze.
"Is it impressive for me not to feel a thing for my parents?" I asked while watching her walk to the big wooden doors of the farm.
"People loose their families every single day, they fill their hearts with anger and an unstoppable thirst of vengeance. Not many people have the luck of not feeling those things" said the maid while looking outside.
"I don't get it" trying to figure out her thoughts wasn't easy, her words were said with such a strapping sound. I knew she meant what she said, but I couldn't guess how it applied to me.
"You'll get it, it's a matter of time" She said.
"I guess" I said.
"Thena" She said.
"What?"
"My name is Thena... it was Thena"
"Was? I don't get anything you're saying" I answered
"The house of the Bachelors is not a family to underestimate, they'll notice the absence of your burned body in the rests" She tuned around "They knew that the castle was only made for woman. That means that they'll know right away that you didn't escape alone" She looked at me with a subtle curiosity.
"Since today you will call me Theo, it is better to have a man by your side in this city" She finished.
"You'll pretend to be a man?" I asked still wondering through the words of ...Theo.
"I am a man, technically" She said.
"Wait, what is your gender, your real one?"
"I am a man! Geez!" He said while I still gazed at him for a sign of the truth "I have my reasons for lying, but everything is better than going to war. Even dressing like a girl" said Theo
" Were the maids in the castle also men?" I asked.
"No... not that I know" He said while looking at his dress.
After some minutes of silence I said
"I understand"
"That's all you're going to say?" asked Theo very surprised.
"Everything is better than war, I get that. Theo, you saved me, is not like I have any motive to kill you" I finished before standing from the hay.
We looked at each other for some seconds, when some noises outside broke our little chat.