1 //

Laila's pov

"You have to be shitting me!" I whisper yell to Trent. We were trapped. The amount of walkers that were surrounding us was sure to be our death sentence. The adrenaline coursing through my veins was insane. We were in the middle of the city, this was surely the end. Trent spoke up, "Maybe we could pass through them..?" "How do you suppose we do that?" I asked, clearly frustrated. "Well, before my brother died, he taught me something."

I looked over, clearly intrigued. Anything to get me out of here alive. "If we grab those curtains over there, and cover them in walker guts we might be able to pass through," He began, "If we drape the curtains over us we'll smell like them and they won't tell we're human." I looked over at the tall boy. "That's the one intelligent thing I've ever heard you say." 

He chuckled and we began our mission. I had grabbed one of the few walkers we killed when we got to the rooftop as he grabbed the ripped curtain from the door. I grabbed the knife that I had used to kill hundreds- if not thousands - of walkers. I stabbed the dead thing's abdomen, piercing through the thin rotten skin with no difficulties.

Trent and I draped the curtains over ourselves then began to coat the things with walker guts. The stench was rotten, it smelled like decomposition times three hundred. Holy fuck. We began our journey, down the long flight of stairs, walking slowly, not too fast. We had to act like we were one of them. The amount of fear coursing through us was undeniably showing on our faces.

We walked the streets of Atlanta, walkers showing up left and right, east and west, north and south, you name it. They were all around us. But they haven't noticed who we really are. Trent and I might have to use this method more often. As we got to the main highway, the walkers died down. Then we sprinted into the woods, stabbing and shooting any spare walkers, good thing we have that silencer on our weapons. 

"We need to get washed up as soon as we get back to the camp." Trent grumbled. "I agree.." I say,  I take the nasty horribly stained curtain off of my body and he does the same. As we walk through the woods heading towards our camp, we hear voices.

Trent looks over at me, cocking an eyebrow as to say "Do you hear that?" I nodded, and waved my hand as a way to say, 'follow me, detour this way' he followed and we went around the path. "Do you guys see these rocks? It's a path." A female voice says. "Yeah," a manly gruff voice says, "But where to..?" I look over at Trent who has his gun in his hands, I get my handgun from my holster and cock it back. 

One wrong move and they're all fucking dead.

We soon come to see the faces of the mysterious people. There are four of them, an Asian who's holding the hand of a girl with brown short hair, a man with a crossbow, and a boy wearing a sheriff's hat. As I step forward a twig snaps and they instantly draw their weapons, looking around.

"Why does that man look so familiar.." I think to myself. I shake it off then look back at Trent. He looks extremely irritated. "These motherfuckers.." He mumbles under his breath. "We have to get back to camp, yknow.." I say softly. As I finish the last word, a voice says "Drop your weapons and kneel down."

I turn. It's the boy in the sheriffs hat.

Trent looks over at me and says "Just do it, we can get this over with." I nod and do as he says, we both kneel down and the boy looks at us, "Names," He demands sternly.

"I'm Laila, this is Trent, we're just trying to get back to our camp so I'd appreciate it if you'd let us go." I reply. 

He completely ignores my request, "How many walkers have you killed?" He asks me, "Pft. Hell if I know at this point," I scoff. He then turns to Trent, "You?" 

"Over a thousand at least," Trent rolls his eyes. "How many people have you killed?" He asks again, "Zero," Trent responds. He then looks to me, I know I can't lie about this. "Three," I finally sputter out after too long for his liking, "Why?"

"They were bit, simple as that." 

The boy puts his gun down, keeping it close to his side, "Follow me," he says as he starts walking towards I think his group of people. Trent and I do as told and we start walking with him, "So.. what's your name?" I ask, trying to make conversation. 

"Carl," He states, "Carl Grimes." 

I nod my head then look at my surroundings, if theres one thing my dad taught me before we got separated, it was to look at my surroundings. 

"Maggie, Glenn, Daryl!" Carl yells out. Instantly footsteps are getting louder, 

Daryl..

"What's up?" A male voice asks. I look up and see a woman who I assume to be Maggie holding I think Glenn's hand. He looks like a Glenn. 

"This is Laila, and that's Trent. Where's Daryl?" He explains shortly before popping the question.

I hear footsteps and turn to my left where my dad with a crossbow, "I'm right-" he cuts himself off as he sees me. 

"D-Dad?!" I stutter, my voice breaking. "L-Laila?" 

My dad drops his weapon and runs towards me, I do the same and as we reach each other our arms wrap around each other tighter than we've ever hugged before. "I thought I lost you! Oh dear god, I'm so sorry for leaving, I love you so much!" He rambles on, I cut him off "Dad, I'm okay, I'm fine, I promise..." 

He smiles at me and looks at his group proudly, "Guys, this is my daughter. Laila Maria Dixon." Everyone, including Trent has a confused look on his face. 

"You have a daughter?" His group asks and Trent looks like he's about to faint form the amount of stress in the air. I walk over to him and pat his back.

"Yeah, I do. We got separated, thats why I leave at night... So I can look for her," He smiles and looks at me and Trent again. I can feel everyones eyes on me. "Well um.. Might as well introduce myself, I'm Laila, I'm fifteen, this is my best friend Trenton, we call him Trent, and he's sixteen." I explain about both of us 

"Well, I'm Maggie, this is Glenn, and well you've met Carl. He's Trent's age as well." Maggie smiles politely, Glenn shoots me a small smile and Carl just rolls his eyes. Dad gives him a sharp look but Carl just seems to ignore it. 

"You're coming with us, right?" Dad asks hopefully, I give him the 'thats a dumb question' look and he laughs. 

"We need to get our stuff from our camp though, and I think Trent's very shaken up about this." I joke and look at my best friend who looks pale. 

"We can take him back to camp, Carl can go with you." Glenn offers, Carl shoots him a dirty look and Maggie sends a glare at him. "Yeah that works!" I smile softly and play with Trent's hair. "Take care of him, yeah?" I nod towards him.

"I'm not five," Trent grumbles loud enough for us to hear, "Well you act like it. Be safe and don't try anything stupid." I tell him seriously. I kiss my dad's cheek and Carl and I start walking towards Trent and I's base.