Him

CHAPTER TWO

A soft hand stroking her hair awoke the sleeping witch, and as she came back into consciousness she could hear a gentle cooing of her name. Her eyes fluttered open, fogginess clouding her vision - her eyes felt hot as though embers had burned through to the cornea.

A light groan fell from her lips and alerted Fairy Godmother to her lucidity.
"Oh goodness, Mal! You're awake," the older woman said, feeling perching beside her body.

She winced as the fogginess cleared and the light seared into her vision. She tried to shift from her position on the brown, leather couch, but her muscles protested screaming for the respite that the sofa provided.

"You were only asleep for a few minutes, thankfully," Fairy Godmother said simply, breaking the quiet.

"I'm fine," Mal answered the fairy's silent question. When brown prying eyes didn't leave her profile she relented, "I'm a bit overwhelmed is all."

"Who is he? To you, I mean," Fairy Godmother asked gently as Mal righted herself to sit beside the older woman, pulling her knees to her chest like she did when she was a child, "If had known about his- relevance I would not have thrown the information at you in such a blunt and uncaring manner. Apologies, dear."

Mal waved off her apology, taking a steadying breath before replying to her question, "He's-- just an old friend," Mal said quietly, not willing to divulge much more.
When it came to Harry, she had never had to explain it before. He was much to special to her to share with the world. Now, when posed with the question, however, she had no idea how to answer - not that she would respond truthfully if she could.

FG understood the situation - Mal's walls were now as they had always been and she knew the only way to take them down was by slowly wearing through them.

"Well then," She said, livening up and waltzing towards her desk, "I was going to request that you lead the welcome party for them all tomorrow. Followed by a tour guide then of course. I considered Evie but after some consideration I decided you were the perfect choice."

"Why me?" Mal said, eyebrows furrowing as she looked over at the woman now sat behind her mahogany desk, seemingly drowning behind the stacks of paperwork.

"Oh Mal," the tone of her voice held such a vibrant fondness that Mal felt something in her chest squeeze, "Isn't it obvious yet? It was because you have worked the hardest and progressed the most since you arrived. Maybe not so explicitly as the others, initially. But to me, it has been obvious since long before the coronation. I am well aware that it's been difficult for you; leaving your home, 'betraying' your mother, making a clean break - but you must know, you've really blossomed. I am so very proud of you," FG explained to her.

"You are?" Mal asked, prompting a nod from the woman, without any hesitation. Amal's heart stuttered in her chest, her hands grasping each other tightly, having never heard that sentiment with quite so much genuineness before.

"If you are too uncomfortable to lead the welcome group, you needn't be there-"

"I'll be there."

The fairy paused, a smile gracing her delicate features, causing soft wrinkle lines to appear around her eyes and mouth in a charming way.

"Oh wonderful! That is marvellous, my child."

Mal beamed, her heart thrumming in her ears, "Is that all Fairy Godmother?"

"Yes, Mal - that is more than enough, I assure you," Her brown eyes studied Mal for a moment, "Best be off now, my dear. If you see my Jane remind her to pop in and see me later, would you?"