The Vulcan

I nibbled on my fingernail on my right hand, a bad habit I formed nine years ago. Quit being nervous! I mentally scolded myself, setting a frown on my face as I gripped the thin handle on the turbo lift until my knuckles turned white. All you have to say is Dr. Amber Presley reporting as  ordered, Sir. That's all! Dr. Amber Presley Reporting as ordered, Sir.
          I repeated it ten more times before the turbo lifts doors slid open. Scanning the Bridge, I noted my surroundings; Communications Console directly on the right, Engineering directly on the left. To the left of the Communications Console was the Science/Library computer, Navigational Subsystems, Weapons Subsystems, and the Defense Systems Monitor. Finally, the Main View Screen, displaying the most stunning array of star clusters. Shades of red, yellow, and green blended together in a sort of circle shape.
          Slowly turning my head to the left, I noticed Environmental Systems to the right of the Engineering Console, followed by Engineering Subsystems.
         Before and below me, was the Captains chair with the Captain in it, reviewing a clipboard a blond haired Yeoman handed him. In front of him was the Helmsman and Navigator, both staring in awe at the star cluster before them.

          Shaking my head, I stepped down and squeezed passed the Yeoman, standing in attention before the Captain. Glancing up at me, the Captain closed the clip board, handed it back to the Yeoman, and smiled at me, waiting for me to speak.
          "Dr. Amber Presley, ordering as reported, Sir." I said confidently, then my eyes widened in horror as I realized what I had said. Slapping my hand over my mouth, I gulped. "Uh-I mean Dr. Presley Amber reporting as reported? No...Dr. Amber Presley...ordering to report..." I threw my head back and let my arms fall to my side. "Do you get what I mean Sir?" I begged, scrunching up my face as I bit my lip. "I guess I went over that once too many times." I added quickly as an after thought.
         Chuckling, Captain Kirk repositioned himself in his chair. "I get what you mean Doctor. I am pleased to meet you. I'm sure our Chief Medical Officer will be pleased to have another doctor working with him. You will begin next week, three days." Captain Kirk smiled, tilting his head to the right.
          "Aye, Sir. I transported on five hours ago so I haven't seen this star cluster. I've just been busy settling into my quarters and freshening up..." I spoke as I turned and stood in front of the Captain to look at the Main Viewer Screen and gazed upon the magnificent colors once again. "It's beautiful! What is it called?" I breathed, not taking my eyes off of it. A deep voice from beside me caused me to whip my head up to see who was there.
          "It is called Hodge 301 in the constellation Dorado. We are in the Tarantula Nebula approximately 168,000 light years away from your Earth. I am Spock, First Officer and Science Officer." The Vulcan explained, then looked down at me.
          My breath hitched in my throat. My eyes scanned him, from his perfectly cut, black hair, to his flawlessly arched brow, his pointy ears to his almond brown eyes, his masculine nose, to his pink, slightly parted, lips.
His 6' 0" frame towered over my 5' 1" and a half foot frame, the tip of my head reaching to about his shoulder.
          Recuperating, I bit my lip before standing up straight. "Dr. Amber Presley. Nice you meet you!" I giggled, holding out my hand for him to shake. Spock looked down at my hand, then focused back on my eyes, without moving a muscle, and arched a brow.
          "Are you lost?" He asked simply, staring at me with an emotionless face. I furrowed my brows as I slowly and awkwardly lowered my hand.
          "Excuse me?" I replied, tilting my head to the side, confusion written across my face.
          "Are you lost?" He restated, tilting his head forward and down. "...because heaven is a far way from here."
          My brows disappeared into my hair line as my face burned red. I glanced at the Captain and he looked as surprised as me. Licking my parched lips, I stammered. "Well-I...I-um..." Embarrassed, I scrunched up my face. "Excuse you? Do you go around hitting on all the girls?" I growled, planting my hands on my hips, while my brain screamed at me. What the heck does that even mean you idiot!? You think he's hot, then the guy let's you know he's interested, then you accuse him of being a player? I mean he's a Vulcan you idiot! I mentally shot my self a hundred times. Softened by the adorable, confused, look on his face, I dropped my hands to my side, and looked at him guilty. "Sorry...it's uh, it's been a hard day." I muttered, staring at the ground as I trudged to the turbo lift.

          I flopped down onto my bed after entering my quarters. Idiot, idiot, idiot. How am I ever going to face him again?
          How can I be so confident, in school, while working, under pressure, even with meeting new people, but stand, dumbfounded, when this...Spock, flirts with me. I suppose it could be due to the fact that I've never had a boyfriend, but guys have hit on me before, and I usually tell them off.
After Kaleb, I convinced myself I didn't need anyone. 'Guys will just hurt you,' I told myself, though a large piece of my heart is obviously missing. I've always been independent, never opening my heart or sharing my real thoughts with anyone, not with my best friend, OR even my lit, understanding, perfectly awesome mom. I've always thought crying or sharing my emotions in front of people showed weakness, and I've always been a leader type of tomboy girl, (if that makes sense) so that was not an option for me. Sure I have close friends, but I've never shown a weakness around them. Even when I'm alone, I hate crying. I've only ever cried once. And that was after what happened with Kaleb.
I'm not awkward in public, actually the opposite. I've got lots of friends, and when I don't know anyone, I can make friends, girls AND guys, very easily. So why, why did I yell at Spock?!

Sighing dramatically, I pushed all thoughts to the back of my brain and fished out my favorite pink robe my mom bought me, and headed to shower.

A/N
Let me know if you have any questions! Yes, I use the character Dr. Amber Presley a lot. Check out my other Star Trek short stories if you like her lol.