The Game

Tucking the copper-brown wisps that flew out of my Dutch braids back in, I smoothed out the imaginary wrinkles on my blue dress uniform.
          "Computer, what time is it?" I asked as I nibbled on my nail, checking and rechecking my appearance.
          "Working..." the computer processed my request. "It is 1655(4:55pm)."
I gulped. Here I go. I thought, exiting my room and trudging down the corridor to the turbo lift. "Deck 3." I muttered as the turbo lift began to move.
The doors slid open, and I stepped out onto deck 3. I wondered down the hall until I was standing in front of Rec room 3.
Taking in a deep breath, I straightened my shoulders, and entered.
"Hey there she is!" Someone yelled, and I froze.
"Do you really think she will beat Spock?" "I doubt it. No one can beat Spock." "She's the new Doctor right?" "Yeah I heard she was the champion chess player at the Academy." "I wonder if that's true?" "I don't know about you guys, but I won't mind getting hurt every so often as long as I get to see her!"
A couple of guys chuckled at the last remark.
I glared at the man.
At least thirty people filled the room, all waiting for me to beat, or to lose to Spock. Pushing through everyone, I found Spock setting up the chess pieces, Chekov, Scotty, Bones, and Nyota crowded around him.
As I approached the table, everyone grew silent.
          Spock glanced up at me through his breath taking eyes. "Dr. Presley." He acknowledged, setting down the last two pieces and clasping his hands behind his back. "I see Dr. McCoy has healed your lip."
I unconsciously ran my tongue over my cut lip. "Yes!...and thank you for taking me there." I smiled, my confidence spiked from who-knows-what.
          Nodding, he took his seat after I sat in mine. "Whites have the move." Spock said, motioning for me to begin.
          I shook my head. "Nah, I've never been too lucky with white. You go first, I'll take black."
          Raising a brow, Spock stared at me. "I hardly believe color makes a difference." He stated in as much of a sarcastic voice a Vulcan can muster up.
I smiled sweetly. "Oh Mr. Spock, it makes all the difference in the world. You'll see."
Spock furrowed his brows and stared at me, his mouth slightly falling open. "Doctor," he shook his head, not breaking eye contact. "...your statement is illogical. The black pieces and the white pieces both possess the same number of queens, kings, rooks, bishops, knights, and pawns. I fail to see how color makes a difference." Spock wondered, pointing at each piece as he talked.
          "Forget the blasted colors you two! Just play the game!" Bones groaned, crossing his arms and glaring at us.
          I giggled at Bones irritation and waited for Spock to make his first move.
          Shrugging it off, Spock made his move. 

          Thirty three minutes later, and I had only one bishop and two knights left, while Spock still had four pawns, his two knights, one bishop, and one rook. The crowd fizzled out, but about fifteen stayed behind, bored.
          With his hands folded, his head resting on his thumbs, Spock stared at me through narrowed eyes as I made my move.
          "Bishop to D5." I muttered, moving it to the correct place.
          Unfolding his hands, Spock sat up straight in surprise. "I would have never believed this..." Spock mumbled, moving his pawn.
          "What? What are you talking about Spock?" Bones inquired, crossing his arms and glaring down at him, the usual mood Bones gets into when Spock speaks.
Smirking, I grabbed my second to last Knight. "Checkmate."
Everyone stared at me in disbelief. "You beat him?!" They gasped, returning to crowd around us.
"Indeed." Spock nodded, pursing his lips. "Indeed she has." He mumbled, mystified.
Bones slowly looked up at me from the game. "Amazing!" He whispered. "How did ya do it?" He asked, his voice returning to normal volume.
I shrugged. "Well, I thought about it all day, and decided there was no way that I was going to win against this smart Vulcan. So, I figured Spock was going to play to win right?" I paused and looked around at everyone.
Nodding, they glanced at each other before returning their attention to me. Spock just sat there, thumbs underneath his chin, staring at me like a rock statue. "Well, while Spock was playing to win, I was just playing to stay alive. So while watching me place my pieces in stupid places, I was actually setting them in the perfect place to attack him! Make sense?" I said, studying every one to see if they understood.
"You were baiting him...in other words." Bones clarified, a small smile creeping up onto his face. "I don't believe it!" He chuckled, grinning like an idiot.
"Impressive." Spock muttered as everyone congratulated me.
"Aye lass. That was fierce. I wish I could stay longer but I've got to get some sleep. I've got duty early in the mornin. Congratulations." Scotty smiled down at me, patting me on the shoulder then exiting.
"Let's never let Mr. Spock live this one down!" Nyota giggled as she whispered in my ear. Winking, she left the room.
          Everyone quickly filed out, leaving only Spock, Bones, and I.
          "Well, Amber. I would like to offer my congratulations." Spock finally said, standing up and looking down at me. I stood up and smirked up at him.
          Bones stood beside me, arms crossed.
          "Thank you Spock. But honestly, I'm not sure I could beat you again. You were very challenging, and I almost missed my chance to win." I smiled, clasping my hands behind my back and rocking back and forth on my heels.
          Nodding his head, Spock opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the intercom whistle.
          "Dr. McCoy, Spock, and Dr. Presley, please report to Transporter room 3." The Captains voice boomed out.
          The three of us glanced at each other, then Bones walked over to the com panel. "Acknowledged. On our way." He took his finger off the button and headed out.
          Spock and I looked at each other, then Spock motioned for me to exit before him. "After you."
"Thank you." I mumbled, the two of us falling into step as we headed for the transporter room.

A/N: Please comment what you think!