Chapter nine

• Dedicated to My Father

Copyright  © 2012. All Rights Reserved

Franca and her friends arrived at school running to get their English class. Their English teacher, Mrs. Linda was a force to be reckoned with if you were late to her class; her anger was truly a sight to behold.

Franca remembered not submitting her homework once; Mrs. Linda's reaction was frightening to say the least. She huffed and puffed making Franca think smoke was going to come out of her ears. She demanded that Franca should go home to get it; this caused Franca to be late to all her classes that day.

Zack, Anne and Franca made their way to sit in their respective seats; they brought out the items needed for the lesson.

Linda came in immediately. Her cheeks were rosy. Franca guessed that it was from the cold outside. All conversation came to a halt when she made her presence known to them.

"Class be quiet, no disruptions please. Today, you all are going to be conducting a role play on Shakespeare's Hamlet. You will be given 2weeks to complete it. It weighs 60% of your overall results in my class so you must all take it seriously. You will be split into teams; so you must work accordingly to help each other. I want you to convey the characters emotions well because it will be dramatized on stage. You make it your own; creativity would be appreciated"

"Listen attentively as I call your names because I won't repeat myself. Julius and Rebecca, Julie and Ben, Sarah and Andrew, Zack and Anne, Tyler and Franca" She continues pairing everyone up.

Franca was annoyed that she had to be paired up with Tyler. She couldn't understand why Zack and Anne got to be paired off together but not her. She glanced at the back of the class, to see Tyler making his way towards her.

"I guess we will be doing the play together" He says smiling. Duh, of course we are, Franca thought in mockery.

"Okay. I would like to play the part of Ophelia. I think you should play Hamlet. We could review Hamlet's soliloquy to make it more modernized to suit this time" Franca says, writing down points on her notebook.

"I agree with you, your take on it being modernized is on point; I think it is a great idea. Everyone would make their dialogue ancient like Shakespearian times. Ours would be unique, so we could have an edge in acquiring high grades in it" He says also writing down some points.

"Let's start then, write down your take on it whilst I do the same, I think we should compare each other's when we finish" Franca replies nodding her head in agreement.

Throughout the class, there wasn't anything said between them. It wasn't because they were avoiding to converse with each other, it was because they were both engrossed in the task. When they finished writing how they thought the role play should pan out, they both compared their points.

Franca found out that Tyler was very knowledgeable in Shakespearian history. She misjudged him as being all brawn and no brains; she didn't know half of the things he spoke about.  She learnt her lesson to not judge a book by its cover.

Ironic isn't it? How else would one judge a book if not by its cover? Franca thought sarcastically. Well you get the point, she got the wrong impression about Tyler and she was sorry for prejudging him.

"Tyler I appreciate your efforts in the role play. Your points were very commendable" Franca replies after they had written some parts of the role play.

"It was nothing" He says smiling.

Franca couldn't help the smile that broke out on her face, his smile was contagious. They both stood off their seats, to organize their books into their backpack. Tyler said his goodbye and went off to his next class.