Chapter four - Mousey

   I stand hunched slightly at the front door, waiting for Jennifer to answer. I chew on my lip as I double check the drive, happily assured when I find it occupied with her husband’s car.

   She opens the door with a familiar warm smile. “Terra, it’s been a while. How are you?”

   “I’m good.” I nod. “Can I come in?”

   “Sure.”

   She leads me in through the hallway and straight into the kitchen. She leans against the counter and brushes her dark hair from her forehead, eyes attentive and concerned.

   “How’re you holding up?”

   I smile, but I know just how grim it comes across. “I’m doing fine.”

   “And how’s Abi?” She asks sympathetically.

   “She’s uh… I honestly don’t know. I saw her last night…” I pause, running a hand through my un-brushed hair. “That’s actually why I’m here.”

   “Oh?” She raises her eyebrow.

   Without warning, her youngest child George rushes in, throwing himself against his mother and wrapping his arms around her. He’s only six, but already he’s taller than most children his age. He looks glum and annoyed, scowling across at me.

   “Yeah.” I swallow, oddly nervous that she might say no. “Well, she really wants to see Jerry again. Just for a short visit, I’ll have him back to you by –“

   “No!” George shouts, his face twisting. “No! Don’t take Jerry away.”

   “Oh honey, it would only be for a second. You remember Abi, right? She’s not well. Seeing Jerry would -" I try.

   “No” He starts crying, his face growing red within seconds.

   “George, oh baby, it’s okay. Jerry will be back by tomorrow!” His mom wraps her arms around him, attempting to console him.

   “I don’t want him to go!” He roars: tears and snot streaming down his face.

   “But George –" I try once more but he just cries louder.

   He yanks away from his mom suddenly and stomps away, screaming like wild and throwing such an insane tantrum.

   His mom sighs, suddenly looking ten years older and much more stressed out. “I’m sorry Terra. Looks like a no. I’m going to have to sort him out.”

   I can’t hold back my disappointment. I wasn’t expecting George to act like such a spoiled brat! It’s even harder to hold my anger in towards the annoying child.

   “It’s fine.” I bite out through gritted teeth. “I suppose that Abi will have to do with a teddy or something. Knowing her, she’ll put on a smile anyway, despite her disappointment.”

   She frowns but doesn’t say anything. I struggle not to say anything else towards her or her spoiled child and instead turn and walk out the house, the thought of telling Abi breaking my heart.

         ***

   I shut the door behind me, staring at the boarded window, my heart lurching at the thought of something similar to that creature being in my house.

   I stand there silently – but alas, nothing. The house just seems to send out… nothing. So empty and devoid of everything a house this big should have – a family, warmth, the smell of fresh baking…

   Dad was always the baker. We didn’t know mom. Just him, our whole lives and he was everything we needed. I didn’t want mom. I loved dad.

   With a heavy sigh, I walk forward into the kitchen, pausing before turning the lights on to check the time. 9:13PM. God. I have to go work… more. It’s endless. I just want this to be over!

   I don’t turn the lights on. Instead, I throw myself into the chair by the table, slouching across it. I choke on a sob, tears threatening to spill – and as I move to go upright, my hand knocks against something.

   A loud squeak has me upright. Pulse oddly racing, I get up and move over to turn the light on.

   Sitting on the edge of the table is a brown box with holes in it. Brow furrowed, I move forward and take off the lid. Inside, curled up in a corner – is a brown mouse identical to Jerry.

   I can’t help a little gasp of shock and surprise as I scoop the tiny bundle up – and realise that it’s much smaller than Jerry. It must be a baby.

   It lies sleeping in my hands, ear twitching. I look down to see a small envelope at the bottom of the box. Frowning further, I retrieve it and put the mouse back in the box, covering it with the lid once more.

   I open the small envelope and pull out a crisp piece of paper. I open it and feel a headache forming as the words blur before my eyes.

   It isn’t Jerry. It’s a peace offering so that you know to trust me. I have information that you need. Information on your father. You need to know the truth. Meet me at Aroma, the coffee shop near the hospital tomorrow at six. Forget work.

   I swallow hard and find myself once more slumped into the chair, holding the letter in my hand. Dad… someone knows what happened to him.

   The idea is more than tantalizing – it’s like an itch and I need to scratch it. I have to find out. I have to find out – I need the closure.

   Dad disappeared three years ago. Thankfully I was eighteen by then – I was next of kin for Abi and although it took a lot of work, I managed to become her legal guardian. But there was still the pain and confusion – not to mention the uncertainty.

   Dad loved us, he proved it every single day so there were always questions, just so many god damn questions constantly circling mine – and most likely Abi’s – minds. It was insanity.

   Where did dad go?

   Why did he go?

   Is he dead?

   Did he leave us?

   What happened to him?

   I guess I’m finally going to get to find out. If it’s not just a lie. But why would it be?

   I chew on my lip thoughtfully. I have to go. It’s final