Chapter 10

Hailei's interruption is threatening to destroy a balance we've reached with many struggles on our part and a huge waste of time in a matter of seconds. I can't believe that this girl is about to ruin what we've managed to get over the last hours. Hartley College has really changed her for the worse.

By the way, this isn't exactly any of our business as no-one except Aaron and I pay attention to her. Instead, they resort to packing their stuff and are waiting for the three of us so that we can finally leave. Hailei, however, doesn't want to relent. She wants to make sure she gets whatever she wants. Not that I actually know it, but I'm not eager to know either.

"You forgot something, Aaron," she says, but I think she's addressing him as an excuse not to attack me directly. Indeed, he furrows an eyebrow and dismisses her just waving a hand, before returning to the entrance with the others. Now, it's just the two of us. Hailei and me.

"I know you don't mean to talk to Aaron. You want to talk to me. Come on, tell me the truth," I say, staring intensely at her brown eyes and never looking back. I take a deep breath before restarting talking. "If you want to tell me anything, just tell me and don't use the others as a pawn. Last chance. If you've got nothing smart to say, shut the fuck up, okay?"

My tone, though calm, doesn't seem to make her back up at all. She glares at me in a condescending way, then elbows me and, as she turns her back at me, yells, "You won't get away with what you did, Blennis!" I knew she'd do it. Why the fuck did she feel the need to shout my full given name in front of the rest of the house?

No-one else knew my given name before. Except Hailei, of course. Everyone just called me Blen. Where on Earth did she find it out? And why is she trying to use it against me? I could say I'm definitely screwed, but this is not exactly the case. Hailei doesn't scare me, but this is what I think on the outside. Deep down, I still believe she does, though.

I can't wait to finally leave this fucking house.

***

I can't believe that this shit is finally over. I can't believe that, among my group of friends, not even a part of them would be loyal. And I've never suspected that anyone would stoop so low before our last meeting at the hut in the woods. Yet, there is someone who did it. Everyone did. I've never thought they'd all betray me, including Aaron, Kaiti and even Shannon!

I'm lonely. I'm sorry if I have to say this, but I have no-one by my side.

***

When I came back home, I expected Mom and Dad to lash at me, belittle me or even remind me that I'll never be like Kayla. (If you're wondering, Kayla is my sister, freshly graduated from college and applying for a Master in Journalism. She's a sweet girl, but can be really clingy and overly demanding when it comes to getting me to do her a favor.)

This time, however, neither Mom nor Dad bring her in the conversation. They want to congratulate with me. I mean, they've never complimented me in my (for now) short life. I know, these twenty-two years flied; still, I regret not living a more eventful life. At least, I'd have more than an excuse not to bash my former friends on printed paper.

Furthermore, my parents seem to have overlooked the fact that things have gone south since I decided to contact a literary agent to publish my journals. However, if they hadn't encouraged me to pursue my dream of becoming an author, they'd never forgive me for wasting such a chance. For the first time in my life, I feel closer to my family than to those people I labeled as friends.

Memories of a Distraught Girl. The more I read this title in my mind, the more I convince myself that I can't go back anymore. At first, I thought that Story of My Life would be a more neutral title, something that wouldn't lead to the breaking point. However, my agent decided that it was too bland to be taken into account, eventually suggesting that I changed it.

The consequences, naturally, showed up without any warning and without a chance for me to escape them. Not that I actually care about facing them, though. When I accepted to meet the agent, I knew there'd be no going back and that I'd make a lot of enemies. Actually, I don't care anymore. Mom often says that, when a big door closes, a huge gate opens. I guess I have to second her on that.

At least, I can get content with the thought of starting fresh, pretending that I've never met those bunch of lying bitches in my life. I don't care anymore about Shannon's silences and her lame attempt to cover up her liaison with my ex. (She kept her mouth shut and that stupid smile plastered on my face in an attempt to charm me—when I found the truth out, I was downright pissed off!)

I don't care anymore about Kaiti's bubbly attitude and her blabber about trust and loyalty when she was being nice and friendly with Katrina, Sarah & Co all the time. She cared more about them than about me. I've never dubbed her as a double-faced brat, but I guess I have to do after what I discovered.

I don't care anymore about Aaron and Leayah's secret relationship, which lasted six fucking years! I was such a fool to think they'd fall in love shortly before the trip at the little hut. I mean, I already suspected something back then, but I can't believe they lied to me about their sappy little love story! I guess I'll let them rot happily in Hell, especially after Leayah made it clear that I'm not even supposed to talk to Aaron. Not a big deal, to be honest.

I don't care anymore about Penelope's vanity or Rheta's devious mischief, for they've never been interested in being my friends but just used me for their personal purposes; what disgusts me the most, anyway, is that I found the truth out on Facebook! They didn't even bother messaging or calling me privately. Moreover, I've just realized that Rheta has unfollowed me on all social media since we left the woods. Again, it's not that big of a deal.

Last but not least, I don't care anymore about Hailei's fake personality and her conniving. She's fame hungry and greedy as fuck, I can't deny that. She took advantage of my position to gain popularity behind my back, all while spreading shit about me all around the world. She claims I'm gonna pay for what I did to her. Yeah, my ex used to date her but left her for me. I guess she'll have to deal with it, and so will I.

What I only care about is to move on, live and let live. This so-called friendship was good while it lasted, and it lasted a little too much. Perhaps we should've parted ways before making that stupid bet.

And it's all my fault.

I, Blennis Upton, swear that I'll never get over my head to please a bunch of backstabbing little bitches again.