Old Habits (1)

"Where's Five?"

The two(three) of them had made it back to The Academy safely with the help of Willow's credit card, just as it was about to hit high noon. Diego was still nowhere to be found, and apparently, neither was Five.

"I thought he was out with you." Luther shook his head and sighed. "God, damn it."

"Shit." Klaus kicked at the ground. "We need to put a leash on that kid."

"A leash wouldn't do anything, Klaus." Luther rubbed the spot between his eyebrows. "He teleports. And time travels."

"It's the thought that counts."

"Do you two have any good news?" Luther raised his eyebrows at the pair. "Where's Diego?"

"We may have also lost Diego." Klaus nodded as he held his chin inquisitively.

"Shit." Luther mumbled under his breath, though he didn't look nearly as displeased as when he found out Five was missing. The behemoth then just started walking away into another room without saying anything else.

"Nice chat, big brother." Klaus gave a little hand wave and sighed as he looked back to Willow. "We should probably find at least one of them."

"They're grown." Willow scoffed.

"What's your problem?" Klaus made a face at Willow and reached for her hand, but she pulled it away before he could grab on.

"Diego just left us stranded on the other side of town." Willow squinted at Klaus and pursed her lips. "He doesn't like me. Why would I go out of my way to look for a grown man who probably doesn't want to be found?"

"Because...you love me unconditionally and that includes my self-righteous, melancholic brothers?"

"Ah-." Willow stopped before beginning a rant on how blood was not always thicker than water, but then it occurred to her that none of them were related by blood, and they were his water. And then the L-word echoed in her mind as she thought of what to say next.

"No."

"No?" Klaus blinked.

"I'm not in love with you." Willow rolled her shoulders and then crossed her arms over her chest. Not anymore.

"We'll see about that." Klaus scoffed with a tiny chuckle, as if he'd seen the future and the two of them were in it together.

"What does that mean?" Willow squawked.

Klaus raised his hand that read goodbye and decided to end their conversation, pivoting on one of his heeled shoes and walking in a different direction than Luther.

"Where are you going?" Willow whined, less than amused with the turn that everything was taking.

"Kitchen." Klaus called from a distance. "Can't play Sherlock on an empty stomach, love."

The independent part of Willow that had learned to live a life fully without Klaus wanted to turn around and leave. To go back to the life she once knew and quit playing games. It was a dominant part of her life, accepting her loneliness and rolling with the tide. Why now did she feel the need to fight that?

Willow rolled her eyes and took a deep breath in, pursing her lips in irritation before pivoting after him.

She stepped right into the kitchen, where Klaus was eating a sandwich with the crust cuts off while the robotic motherly figure tended to some dishes in the sink.

"Willow dear, welcome back." Grace greeted her with a brightness that was uncanny. "I know the boys can be an awful lot to handle. You know how they can get."