Paris, City of Lights

The cool breeze in my fur. The Parisian music in my ears. The scent of fresh baked French desserts in my nose. What could be better than a ride through the streets of la Ville des Lumières?

Okay, so maybe it's not the most perfect thing in the world. After all, my new father, Thomas O'Malley, just had to invite my annoying brothers, Toulouse and Berlioz, to come along. Berlioz just won't stop complaining!

"Uhh, my paws hurt!"

"Marie's been riding too long!"

"Why can't we go in that one!"

"Toulouse just touched my tail!"

"I'm cold!"

"I'm hot!" 

"Marie won't quit singing!"

"Why can't we go to the beach?"

"I'm tired,"

"I'm hungry!"

Blah, blah, blah.

"Why!?!? Why does Marie get a to have a turn before me?" Berlioz whines. It's clear to all of those tough alley cats out on the streets that my brother is very spoiled. Well, it's clear to me at least. 

Currently, I'm taking my turn riding on Thomas's back. Berlioz gets a turn next, and he's getting impatient.

"Because I'm a lady, that's why," I answer, and I give him a smug grin. Berlioz glares at me. 

"I can take a turn, if those two won't stop bickering," Toulouse offers. 

"No!" Berlioz and I snap at the same time. 

"Sheesh. I was just offering," Toulouse flicks his tail.

"Well, don't," I jerk my head away from him. I can sense him rolling his eyes behind me. 

"Why don't we head on home?" Thomas suggests, clearly tired of our constant bickering.

"Good idea," I reply, annoyed with my brothers.

"Fine," Berlioz sniffs. Toulouse looks relieved. 

We end up back at our home, a beautiful aristocratic house. My mother, Duchess, greets us at the door. 

"Back already?" She asks.

"Berlioz and Marie won't stop fighting," Toulouse snitches. 

"Well we have stopped now," I give him a look. Toulouse shrugs.

"As long as it's over, we should start practicing," Duchess says, trying to get us back in schedule.

"Yes, mama," I agree. Berlioz and I rush to the piano, while Toulouse and Thomas head to the easel and canvas. Duchess follows Berlioz and me.

"Now, Marie, are you ready?" Duchess asks. I nod.

"Do mi so do-" I start singing the beginning of our song, Scales and Arpeggios.

"We do that every time!" Berlioz says.

"Cause we're practicing," I reply.

"Well, can't we practice something else?" He asks.

I sigh. "Everybody wants to be a cat. Because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at,"

Thomas joins in.

"Tell me, everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat. 'Cause everything else is obsolete,"

Satisfied, Berlioz starts to play the piano as Thomas and I continue.

"A square with a horn makes you wish you weren't born. Every time he plays. But with a square in the act, you can set music back, to the caveman days."

Suddenly, lightning strikes. Twice in a row. My mother's eyes widen. Then the power goes out. And I hear an ear piercing scream.