Chapter 4 Nightmares and Premonitions

After making haste out of Hateno for the better part of the day, Link and Zelda found themselves yet again delayed in their quest. Zelda was particularly more worried than Link, and hardly made an effort to hide it. They barely spoke to each other along road, as the princess seemed determined to get to Kakariko as soon as possible. Link sensed she was bothered by the surprise they were given back in Hateno. It was written all over her face, clear as crystal, as they rode long and hard on horseback up the winding trails.

They were supposed to visit the inner provinces and loyal clans, such as the Gorons, Zora and Rito. But now, after their sudden revelation from earlier that day, they found themselves heading back to Kakariko to seek more advice from the old Sheikah adviser. Of course Zelda was frustrated! It couldn't be helped when she felt that for every two steps forward, they were taking one step back.

If that weren't enough, Zelda now knew in her heart that reuniting the kingdom under one banner wouldn't be as easy as asking everyone to accept their old monarch once again. The very same monarch who almost lost the realm entirely to the Calamity one hundred years ago.

Why should they keep faith with the royal house of Hyrule? She thought. She had only been given back to this world just a couple of short days ago, and already secret plots to take her life had been made.

Zelda was at a point that she almost wished it were the Yiga who were after her. At least with them, they could strategize their next move. She knew that with the help of Link, they would be able to handle whatever obstacle they could throw at them, because they would at least know what to watch out for. But how could she face an enemy who was lurking in the shadows, nameless and unknown? Impa's words from when they last saw her echoed in her mind.

"And do trust in him your Grace, for he is the only one now you can trust."

She needed her wise counsel now more than ever she thought to herself.

Link, taking notice of his princess' demeanor, wanted to cheer her up. They were forced to slow their pace as the horses tired. So, as they trudged back to the old Sheikah village nestled in the canyon, Link used this as his opportune moment. A short while before they were set to dismount, he kicked his borrowed horse forward to trot alongside hers as they made their way closer to Kakariko.

Link leaned over to her.

"Hey, don't worry...whatever comes our way, I'll be right alongside you...we are in this together..and...I don't intend on dying a second time," he said with his head held high, throwing her a reassuring smile.

Zelda felt comfort akin to a warm blanket at the sound of his words, but she was still in a somewhat cantankerous mood nonetheless that day. Having always the need to have the last word at times, something she swore to herself she would work on, she couldn't help but correct him.

"Actually, you didn't die...yes, it is called the shrine of resurrection, a clever name indeed, but it can't actually bring back those who have drank from the cup of death. Its power is limited to only healing...even wounds as serious as the ones you sustained back then," she said as she lifted her brows with a smirk to match his own, tit for tat.

"Well...that doesn't make sense at all then...I wonder, whose foolish idea it was to come up with that stupid name?" he asked with a huff, questioning the notion aloud. "Really, a resurrection chamber that doesn't resurrect? That's like a sword that doesn't actually slice!"

Zelda's mouth nearly dropped past the horse and hit the ground.

"I'd have you know, I came up with that name!" she snapped, her furrow-browed eyes fixed on him like a target.