Chapter 5

-- Ch. 5

Exile.

It takes your mind, again.

"Really? You... You want me?"

Palebird and Mapleshine shared a look, amused, and Palebird nodded.

"Only if you're willing. You used to be close with Sandgorse - we trust you."

"Well, okay.. But someone should tell Tallpaw."

"I'll tell him," Mapleshine offered. "Hopefully the news will cheer him up. The assessment this morning was rough -"

"What news?"

Mapleshine jumped, spinning to face Tallpaw as he appeared in the nursery entrance. She glanced to Palebird and Woollytail. The molly she loved looked overjoyed, but Woollytail was nervous. Reasonably so.

"Tallpaw," She started. "Palebird and I have been talking for some time, and... We've decided, we're going to try and have kits."

His eyes flashed. There seemed to be some happiness there, but it was guarded. "But you're both mollies," He murmured. Mapleshine nodded, feeling a little more nervous and taking a deep breath.

"That's why Woollytail is here. He... He agreed to help us. Palebird wants to carry."

Ah, there's the anger. Tallpaw's claws dug into the ground, and he hissed at Woollytail. "What about Sandgorse? You were his friend! How could you just -"

Woollytail ducked his head away awkwardly, and Palebird jumped to his defense. "Sandgorse agreed to help me carry you and Finchkit, before Mapleshine ever came to camp, and Woollytail supported him. He agreed to be the backup, if Sandgorse turned up... Barren. He trusted him, and we're trusting him now."

Mapleshine skirted closer, nudging the 'paw reassuringly. "You'll always be her first kit," She murmured, relishing in the faint surprise in Tallpaw's eyes. I've earned the right to call myself your mother, and I'm proud to be one! "But, StarClan willing, you shouldn't be her last."

Tallpaw hesitated, glancing between them before sighing softly and nodding. "If... If it makes you happy."

He turned to pad off with that, and Mapleshine drooped in relief, turning to Palebird and pressing their heads together before looking to Woollytail.

"If you two are ready, now's your time to try. Tallpaw's naming ceremony will be happening soon, though - that's what Heatherstar said, anyway. I need to go make sure he stays out of trouble."

The tom nodded, and Mapleshine parted ways, darting out of the nursery to chase down Tallpaw; Cloudrunner had done the job already, however, calling him over. Mapleshine hurried over, puffed up with pride as she made her way towards Heatherstar. After all your struggles, you earned this!

"Leaf-bare is coming, but we will face it with two new warriors!"

Woollytail and Palebird hurried out from the nursery, eager to support Tallpaw. They'll have time to try later. She eyed her apprentice - her son - with pride, purring as he settled next to Shrewpaw and Barkpaw, just before Heatherstar.

"Shrewpaw, your warrior name will be Shrewclaw, in honor of your skill at hunting and fighting. You've trained well, and you're worthy of your warrior name. Barkpaw, I name you Barkwing, in honor of your mother - just like her, your patience and ferocity is admired. And, Tallpaw," She purred, shifting her gaze to the black-and-white tom, "Your father always meant to name you for your long tail, and so, I give you your name in honor of him. Talltail, one day you will be a greater warrior than you can even imagine. Sandgorse would be proud."