《 THREE 》 MILKSHAKE

It was a Sunday afternoon

It was a Sunday afternoon. Rosaleen and I found my repair shop amusing when no customers are actually needing any of our services. She started working here as a part-time job after we had committed to a relationship.

Her job was simple, as I intended it to be. All she really had to do was greet the customers that were by the door and endorse the things I displayed in the shop, since I was the one who worked behind the counter.

"I would really love a milkshake right now," Rosaleen muttered.

"I'll get you one right after we finish wiping all the dust off this place."

Rosaleen grinned and went on with a feather duster. I admired and watched her from the counter where my head was resting on. The way she would gracefully dust the cabinets, it reminded me of my mom. She'd do a task that's simple and still make it sincere. My mom was Super-girl, and Rosaleen is too.

But when someone is that great and tough, who helps them out when they go through problems they can't solve?

It was a random thought, but it bothered me. Rosaleen was staring at me, her dark blue eyes scanning me. The ocean was wild in her eyes. Waves were too strong and powerful.

She was strong and powerful.

"Taehyung, is there something wrong?" She rested the duster on the floor and walked towards me.

She reached out her hand and cupped my face. I felt her warmth and comfort. I was troubled. Do I make her feel safe? Do I make her feel loved? "Yeah, sure. I'm fine."

She pressed her lips against my cheek in a subtle yet playful manner. Pulling me for a hug, she laughed. I could feel her hot breath fanning on my neck. I wrapped my arms around her torso and secured her.

"Stop scaring me with your gaze," she said as she pulled away.

"What gaze?"

"The way you looked at me. It scared me."

I nodded and hugged her again. I never needed the warmth of another body this much.

"Now would be a really good time to buy some milkshakes, hun. I could feel your sticky body in contact with mine."

I laughed and looked right down at her. My arms were still wrapping her waist. "You're the one who hugged first."

"And you're the one who hugged back."

We got out the repair shop and had a taste of fresh air. The sun was scorching hot; the beams felt like a big-sized microwave─ready to melt you and leave you looking like a puddle. I had my eyebrows furrowed and my eyes squinted. The light was blinding.

It was the middle of June. What did I expect?

"Ah, the sun feels great," Rosaleen remarked. I stared down at her, searching for a hint of sarcasm. But she seemed completely honest with what she said.

"Are you kidding?"

"What? No."

"Rosaleen, it's Summer─and you said you wanted milkshakes!"

"I drink milkshakes all-year round."

The nearest shop that sold milkshakes was still a few meters away from where we started. The weather was unbearable, but I wanted to open up a conversation with her. After all, I still believe that there is so much more to know about her. She would always shut me out whenever I throw her a bunch of questions that were still actually about─and involved─her.

Rosaleen never wanted to talk about herself. I would often wonder why. I was convinced that this was the reason why I never could help her out when she needs me.

Maybe the environment is just too stressful for her. What if a few days off from the city is all she needs?

"Rosaleen," I called out to her. Her glistening eyes stared back at me, beaming with curiosity. "What if we got out of here?"

"What?"

"I mean, out of the city. It's just for a couple of weeks."

"But what about the shop?"

"I can ask my friend to look out for it. It's no big deal, really."

She looked away. When her long brown hair faced me instead, I had no clue on what she felt by hearing me say those words. I didn't know if she felt happy or sad─or even angry.

"It is a big deal. I won't go, Taehyung."

"..But why not?"

"I need to be somewhere next week."

"Where? I can accompany you─"

"No. I'll have to go alone."

She started walking to the opposite direction, not even sparing me a glance. I saw her retreating back and she slowly disappeared, engulfed by the crowd.

When Rosaleen said she didn't want to go, I felt nervous. I was scared for her.

 I was scared for her