Prologue

Once free, always free... I will never understand that saying. Imagine, a dog, fresh out of a cage, taken home by a sweet little boy. They play in the backyard, best of friends. The dog protects the boy, and vice versa. Well, the boy protects the dog until he goes to college. The little boy, now grown and out of state, isn't there to take his friend on walks, or play in the backyard. The parents, now old and retired can't afford or take care of the dog. They return him to the shelter; to the caged in walls and the cramped bed. But it's okay, they'll tell themselves, because he'll get adopted again, and go to another perfect little family. But it's not okay. The dog, now old and unhealthy, is not a playful little puppy anymore.

That dog is to spend the rest of his days, until he is euthanized and finally put out of his misery, in a small, cramped cage, dreaming of the days of his past freedom.

In that case, I guess I would be the dog. Waiting for my little boy to come and rescue me from the cramped cage.

I am waiting for nothing. HYDRA will keep me in chains until I am unfit to do their bidding. I will spend the rest of my days killing, training, and dreaming of the world I will never again see. That is my curse.

My name is Ashe. I don't remember where I came from, or if I have parents, or if I use to have a life before this. The organization who keeps me prisoner, HYDRA, has taken it all away. But they were ¨merciful¨ enough to let me keep my name- my first name, that is. As far as I know, I am Project Phoenix to them. So, I like to say my second name is Phoenix. Ashe Phoenix, catchy, right?

I think I am sixteen. I keep track with how many times the air in my cell gets cold enough to move me. They wouldn't want their asset to freeze to death, now would they.

I was three winters when they took me. Thirteen have now passed. I have trained and was perfected to be the perfect soldier. They have conditioned me with their rules.

Rule number one: You must not speak unless you're spoken to. The first time I broke it, they cut my tongue off, only to have another one of their assets to grow it back again. The process repeated ten times until I passed out. I still have a permanent scar running across the organ in my mouth.

Rule number two: When HYDRA gives you an order, you follow it. I remember, when I was six winters, they wanted me to kill a harmless girl. I told them she did nothing to me, why? I spoke out of turn, and I did not kill my mark. They burned words into my back and arms, that still haven't gone away. But at least we let you pick, Asset!

Rule number three: Always, always, be loyal to HYDRA, and HYDRA alone. Punishment: Death. A rule I have never broken. Until three days ago.

My name is Ashe Phoenix, and this is my story.

Hi, I'm Wren, hope you enjoy Ashes!

Btw, that's Ashe.