Chapter One: My True Home

One week before:

"The asset is escaping! I repeat, the asset is escaping!" Run, run, run! Faster! I thought to myself. They would kill me when they caught me, and I couldn't die yet. I was so close! I could see the loading docks, just a few yards away, but with my advanced speed, it would be like the distance of third to home base. I was so close! Almost there!

I could see the sky, a lieutenant ordering to shoot me down, before I escaped, but it only spurred me on faster. Bullets pelted the air next to me, but I wasn't afraid. I would make it.

And I did.

Now, rewind. You might wonder why they want me so much. Why I am such an asset. See, I'm not a normal human being.

When I was three, they stole, were given, or grew me. I don't know. I have no memories except for the ones HYDRA let me have. They said I was special, that I was created for a purpose, and that they were there to help.

It started with a few injections, along with surgeries, and other things I would rather keep to myself, but, in their minds, they had accomplished their goal: Project Phoenix was a success.

I had wings, advanced hearing, smell, sight and speed. I had razor-sharp claws on my fingers, along with sped up healing, and the ability to speak to animals. I was a weapon, to them. Something used to kill their enemies. I was almost perfect.

But at night, a man, my cellmate, used to tell me stories about the outside. He said his name was... I don't remember. When they figured out what he was doing, they took him away. Slaughtered him in front of me for breaking rule number three. They wiped everything. All I had were the dreams. I couldn't remember how he described the sky, or family, or anything. I had to know what it was.

I planned.

That was two seasons ago. Now it is the cold season. I could see the... Snow in the distance. So bright, so... Beautiful. I wanted more.

As I finally reached the outside, I spread my black, raven wings and took off.

I was free.

I didn't stop until it was well into the night, and the exhaustion from my escape caught up with me. As I touched down onto the snowy forest floor, I looked for a place to rest. The only place not doused in snow that offered shelter, was underneath a pine tree about a yard. The ground underneath smelled of forest and I caught the faint scent of a rabbit.

I sniffed the air again, surveying the area, looking for potential dangers like my instincts taught me. Only when I finished did, I cautiously make my way over to the still-standing tree.

I spread my wings on the cold ground as I sat, back up against the tree. I could use my wings, after rested, to keep me warm, blocking out the wind.

No fires, HYDRA always said, Fires would give away your position.

You may wonder, reader, why I know all these terms. I've been in a lab my whole life. Well, the answer is the birds. They would always flock to me during the outside training, telling me wondrous stories.

Stories of wondrous skyscrapers, that touched places I thought only I could go. Of fiery hair, but cold to the touch. Of buildings of children, learning the history. Of men who could stick to walls, wizards who could break and bend time, of true gods! They told me about all of HYDRA's wrong-doings. Of how I could help. How I could fight against them with a team of Earth's strongest warriors!

Of how I could be free.

Later, I would wish I had never listened to the birds sweet tunes.