If You Take Life Too Seriously, You'll Never Make It Out Alive

"Why do we have to stop here?" Jay asked as Tim pulled up to a dollar store.

"I have to go get something," Tim replied as he cut the car's engine and removed the keys, sliding them into his pocket as he exited the vehicle. "I'll be right back."

"I'm coming with you," Jay blurted out, hand on the door handle.

"I'm literally just running into the store. You don't really need to come in unless you need something."

"I do! I do..." Jay quickly said as he exited the vehicle as well, pushing the door shut behind him. Tim raised his eyebrows in a questioning look but didn't push Jay on the subject. Instead, the two made their way into the store, splitting up shortly after their entrance. While Tim wandered to the left side of the store to search for whatever supplies he needed, Jay went straight to the back. With no aisle labels, he wasn't sure where he should look, especially considering that he really didn't need anything. He just didn't want to be left alone in the car.

Aimlessly wandering from aisle to aisle, Jay finally stopped in front of the cards. Scanning over the labels, the words all seemed to blend together into a string of letters that didn't matter. Birthday, anniversary, sympathy, for mom, for dad, funny birthday. It all seems like a waste, Jay thought. One day, we'll all be dead and these cards will be completely worthless. "Congratulations?" What are we congratulating? "You stayed alive for another year! Congrats, you're now this much closer to death!" Without even realizing it, Jay's thoughts had taken a turn for the worse.

With his thoughts dark and his limbs suddenly heavy, Jay drug himself from aisle to aisle, wandering once again until he heard Tim call from the front, "You 'bout ready, Jay?"

"Yeah," Jay called back as he made his way to the front. As he neared the registers, it occurred to him that he hadn't grabbed anything. Rounding the end of the aisle, he grabbed the first thing he could get his hands on and placed it on the black rubber belt with the other items Tim was purchasing. Jay absentmindedly watched as the items were scanned and placed in a plastic bag. Wait, where's Tim?

Turning around, Jay found Tim talking to another associate and pointing out something on a chart. The sales associate nodded before opening a drawer and pulling out something then setting it on the counter. For once, Jay's mind was peacefully blank as he watched the young woman fill each rubber balloon one by one with helium. As each blue balloon inflated, Jay felt a sense of calmness about him though he couldn't exactly pinpoint the reason why. Once all the balloons were filled and had strings tied to them, Tim returned to the register to pay.

"Did you find everything okay?" the woman ringing him up asked. Instead of verbally responding, Tim simply nodded his head. "Alright, your total will be thirteen dollars and ninety one cents." Tim pulled a twenty out of his wallet and handed it to the woman who proceeded to count out his change and hand him the money, a receipt, and the plastic bag. "Have a nice day!" The cashier cheerfully called as Tim and Jay excited the store.

As Tim pushed the balloons - of which there was a total of ten - into the back of the car, Jay climbed into the front seat and fastened his seatbelt. After the balloons were secure, Tim climbed into the driver's seat and closed the door as he set the plastic bag in his lap.

After staring into the bag for an uncomfortable amount of time, Tim finally asked, "Jay, do we need to talk about something?"

"What do you mean?" Jay asked, turning to face Tim with a truly perplexed expression. Reaching into the bag, Tim pulled out a small pink box with the words "Pregnancy Test" printed on the side in large white letters. Of course that had been the first thing he grabbed. The two stared at each other for a long moment before they both burst out laughing. Not only was Tim laughing, he was genuinely laughing, a truly happy expression on his face. The look alone lifted Jay's spirits. Today might not be so bad after all, Jay conceded.