Chapter Six: Changes

Shark has been so kind to me lately, but he's still the same old grumpy person with everyone else. I guess only some things change. I've barely seen Yuma and Tori keeps on warning me to stay away from Shark. His reputation is in shambles, and he's so alone. I can't walk away. Yuma's got a new friend, so I've heard: I'm begging that when I meet them, they aren't as stupid as him.

Myself and Shark often ride around Heartland. Sometimes we flank school completely, but if my mom doesn't care, then who does? If I don't flank school, Shark'll drop me off round the back. We're riding when I suddenly spot a certain friend of mine. Yuma's anxiously running in place at the center of a group of adults waiting at a crosswalk. The sign changes to a Walk symbol, and Yuma realizes that everyone else has already moved. Still dumb them.

"Hey, Shark-"

"How about we give him a little scare?" Yuma bounds forward into the crosswalk and is jogging across, when he sees that one vehicle isn't stopping.
"Whaah!" He yells. Yuma jumps aside and is barely missed by Shark roaring through on his maroon motorcycle/runner. Shark side-skids and halts after the crosswalk. Yuma breathes a sigh of relief, then indignantly shouts at us, pointing at the traffic light. He obviously hasn't realised who he's dealing with.
"Hey! Red means-" Then Yuma sees who it was. Shark regards Yuma with a calm, wary sort of regret.
"Shark!" It must be easy for Yuma to remember the nasty glint in Shark's eyes, how he snapped Yuma's key in half, how he smirked confidently without a fear that his victims could fight back. Hopefully, Yuma also remembers how Shark kept his word when defeated, and walked away humbled.

"Rose! What are you doing with him?"

"Hangin' out, why?" Yuma regards Shark, his eyes full of anxiety. Shark is the first to look away, inclining his head to Yuma before toggling his handgrip and riding off. Thank goodness.

"So, that was strange. Back entrance of school?"

"Yeah. I need to go in today. A few of my friends have been wondering about me." I said.

"Guess me and The Pack won't see you for a few days?"

"I'll still come, just after school. Gray knows I need head space; he's been so understanding about everything."

I walk into Tori's form to see her as my form hasn't started yet.
"You're late, Yuma. Big-time!" I hear a kid say. He's got blue circular cut hair with one piece standing up and curled.
"I am not!" The boy ignores him and pulls Yuma's deck out of its case, fanning the cards; Bronk and Tori anxiously look at them over his shoulders. I stand with them.
"Hmm...You are. Quite."
"Late how?" Yuma asks, obviously begrudged.
"Late in explaining what's up with those Number cards you play with!"
"If you mean why they're not in my deck right now, that's a no-brainer."
"It is?"
"It is! They're only here when Astral is here!" The boy doesn't look too happy with that explanation.
"Hmm. And who is Astral?" He takes a few steps forward and gets in Yuma's face.
"You know what, it doesn't matter. In the end, it's clear why you're hiding them away: because they're your secret weapon. What lets you win all the time!" I step forward.
"Hey, that's not true at all!" I defend Yuma who looks shocked to see me. After seeing me with Shark, I'm not surprised. The other kid steps back.
"Sure I have some good cards, but the reason I win my matches is because I'm a good duelist!"
"Yeah. Sure it is. Come on. You could never have beaten Shark or Flip without 'em: tell me I'm wrong!"
"Hel-lo? I toldja you were wrong, but if you want me to tell ya again, no problem!" I say. This kid is ticking me off.

"You are wrong! Wrong! Wrong wrong wrong wrong!" Yuma shouts.
"...Wow, six wrongs." Tori says.
"I'da gone seven, just to be sure." It was six.
,Yeah! Plus seven is a lucky number, so there's that." I sigh.
"Look, you can say 'wrong' a hundred times, but I think we all know there's just one way to settle this!"
"A duel! You got it, I'll take on anyone you want, and beat 'em without using a single one of my Number cards!"
"Yuma...!" Tori says anxiously. Yup; the kid's still reckless as hell.
"Huh, boy..."
"Really? Even if the individual I want you to take on is your old foe Shark?" Oh god no. Shark gave up Duelling. The only person he'd surely consider coming out of retirement for is Quattro. But, he'd probably relish in the chance to beat Yuma. Yuma swipes his deck back from the kid.
"No prob! Let's go find 'im and get Duelling! Rosie, you know where he goes now, right?"