24- a hundred ways to say i love you

"you've never ridden a train?"

"nope." i answer.

"you're gonna love it,"

the seat is plush and will sits next to me. i feel his arm against mine. i press my palm with his and lock our fingers. i rub my thumb over his hand. he smiles small at me. a tiny, secret smile.

the train departs. i feel its movements beneath me as it slowly leaves the station, speeding up. there are many sounds surrounding me and will's hand clutching mine anchors me to the moment. otherwise, i would be floating away with the train tracks.

"makes the city look real lonely, huh?" will says, his voice humming sweet next to my ear. he doesn't whisper it, but he says it quietly enough for the conversation to be intimate.

"yeah,"

out of the window, we begin to see trees and distant mountains. the window becomes a blurred painting of vibrant greens and blues. the city gets quite vibrant at night, but it's not like this. the sun casts warm light on everything. the land seems infinite. i hold my breath.

"and we're going to your grandparents' house, correct?" i ask.

"yeah," he says, his eyes still looking out if the window. "well, they're not around anymore. my parents just stay there during the summers now. you'll meet them,"

"should i be concerned?" i ask, even though i'm already concerned.

"oh, no." will says. "they're nice. busy, though. i think they're leaving tomorrow because my dad has some business with a publisher. they'll be around for a little."

"oh. okay." i say, trying not to get to anxious about it. i twist the ring on my finger with my thumb. the scab where i would constantly scratch my hand had healed over, but the skin there was slightly lighter.

will looks at me twisting my ring and smiles. "have i ever told you that your hair is the color of copper in the sun?" he asks, tilting his head. the sun suddenly feels very warm on my face.

"no,"

"and your eyes look like honey when you turn this way," he reaches out and turns my chin a little so my face faces the way of the sun. his hand is warm against my skin. the sun is warm against my skin. the whole world grows warmer.

"your lashes are so long. i can see you so clearly, now that there's so much direct sunlight," he says. his fingers touch the top of my cheek bones and trace down the contours of my face. his voice is hushed. the train rattles on. i close my eyes and let the sun cause little spots of color dance and sway under the darkness of my eyelids.

"oh," i say. my voice sounds distant and far away. i wish i knew what to say.

"how do you say i love you in italian?"

i open my eyes in surprise at the sudden question.

"ti amo," i reply.

"ti amo," he repeats.

"ti amo,"

"ti amo,"

the corners of my lips raise a little. "ti adoro,"

"what does that mean?" his dimples are showing. he just can't help it. his smiles are endless. his warm hand grips mine.

"i adore you," i tell him.

"teach me more." he says.

"ti amo più oggi di ieri ma meno di domani." i say softly. it is a saying that i picked up from the italian movies my mom would watch sometimes.

"that's a long one. what's it mean?"

"i love you more today than yesterday but less than tomorrow." i say. his grin grows wider.

"one more," he pleads.

"okay," i close my eyes for a few seconds, racking my brain for something perfect. i open them again and get a good look at will.

he's grinning very wide now. it just comes naturally to him. the glow of the sun from the window illuminates his hair as if the world was his stage and the sun was his spotlight. he looks angelic, his hair glows like a halo. he looks absolutely ethereal.

"sei il sole della mia vita," i say softly. the train rattles on. golden fields roll past outside the window. there is distant chatter from those around us. i lean in close and peck his strawberry lips. i pull away and he opens his eyes. his face slowly breaks into smile. he can't stop grinning. he is almost glowing.

"what's it mean?" he asks quietly, biting his cheek and grinning.

i lean in and he leans close too. our foreheads meet and touch and it is as if our souls tied themselves to eachother for that moment.

"you are the sun of my life."