Chapter 7: Boyfriend

"That's the way to play Heart!" The coach praised Colton from down the field. He looked up to me as if making sure I had been watching him destroy that poor kid. Of course I'd seen it, the tightening in my pants was the only proof you needed. The what?

I adjusted myself as I tried to get control of my body once more. Why was watching a massive, beautiful man violently thrashing other people around the field turning me on?

"Damn sadist." I muttered to myself. Colton's head shot up from where he'd been inspecting his stick before he burst into laughter. I glanced around, trying to find the source of his humor, but found nothing.

After that, he seemed to go into overdrive on the field. Colton easily outmaneuvered his teammates even with his larger, bulky size and demolished anyone that came near. By the time tryouts were over, and two hours had passed, I was comfortably reclined in the bleachers and half asleep.

"How'd he do?"

Startled, I sat up to find Dean taking a seat next to me. He was dripping with sweat, blonde hair damp and tousled like he'd been wearing a hat and finally got to let it breathe. Where had he just come from?

"Uh, well, he knocked the shit out of a lot of people," I shrugged, "so good?" My ignorance of the sport was very obvious and I wasn't going to pretend otherwise. I was out of my wheelhouse.

"No lacrosse back in Mississippi?"

"Not really." I stood up and stretched, waking my body up after sitting for so long. "We were more of a football school."

"Really?" A smirk graced over his face. "Guess I should bring you to practice some time."

"Bring me to..." I didn't even try to keep up with these boys anymore. They said the wildest things out of nowhere.

"I'm the quarterback, ya know." He boasted.

"Of course you are," I scrubbed my face with my hands. I was caught in the middle of some weird friendship with the quarterback of the football team and the captain of the lacrosse team. Obviously I wasn't doing a very good job of laying low. "Alright, I think it's time I get out of here and head home." I started to lift my bag, but it was taken out of my hands and slung over his shoulder.

"Slow down there, champ," Dean chuckled. "Why don't ya go congratulate Colt on roughing some people up first. He's kinda tough around the edges, but he's really happy that you came today."

"He is?" This was news. I knew Colton liked talking to me, or at least the little bit of talking we did, but I tried not to overthink it.

"Of course." Dean tilted his head to the side like a confused puppy for a moment before regaining his composure. "There he is, go on." He nudged me to start making my way down the bleachers as Colton emerged from the field house on the opposite side of the field and began making his way in our direction.

"You came," Colton beamed. This was new, I don't think I'd seen him this animated since we met earlier last week. I had stopped at the last row of the bleachers, allowing me to actually be eye level with him and it was something we were both very aware of.

"I did." I stared back into his eyes as the light in them seemed to dance as it usually did when we spoke. "You, uh, you did really good at, uh, knocking the shit out of people." I scratched the back of my head, not really sure what to say. His laughter boomed around the stands.

"Not much of a lacrosse fan?"

"Not yet." I corrected with a tap on his nose. Was I flirting with him? Where did that come from? Whatever it was, it drew that grin to his face once more.

"So, I hear you were picking on some underclassman." Dean stepped to the ground by Colton, their eyes meeting for a moment as they exchanged silent words once again.

"Just a little."

"Find out if you get captain yet?" Dean asked, handing my bag over to Colton, who took it with a roll of his eyes.

"No, and why do you always make me carry shit?"

"Isn't that what boyfriends are for?" Dean teased and my stomach dropped. Boyfriends.