I'll Never Forget

Jaehwa stood upon the threshold of her apartment door, waiting for her seventeen year old son to come home from school so she could leave for work. When she spotted a dark-haired boy in a navy blue school uniform approaching, she smiled idly. Jaehwa greeted Jaehyun with a kiss to his cheek, notifying him that she'll come home late.

"I'll be home late, don't wait for me and eat dinner," was what she'd tell him. Before, Jaehyun despised the idea of him being home alone. But as time went on, he didn't care anymore. He was used to it. Saying goodbye to his mother when he came home was their usual routine.

Jaehwa felt guilty that her son has to grow up without his father. He was in a car accident which led to him being in a coma. After thirty days, she made the decision of cutting off his life support. How could she explain to her son that his own mother decided to end his father's life?

Without looking back at her son, she walked out of their apartment and strutted over to her car. Jaehwa drove to the office where she worked as an administrative assistant. As expected, she came home to Jaehyun already asleep.

The next morning Jaehyun dropped a bombshell. "As you may know, my swim team has a competition tomorrow in Jeju and I was wondering if you're able to go see me compete?" he asked her. Jaehwa wasn't able to apprehend her son's question since he sounded as if he was rapping a verse out of a song. But she realized what he's asking. Right away, she refuses, telling him that she can't miss work tomorrow since she has a meeting. Jaehwa offers that his uncle, her brother, will go instead to watch him compete. She also told him that he should know that she can't attend events like that because of work.

Jaehyun's face reddened. He started to provoke her by asking how her workplace could be more important than her own son. He was in total disbelief. Then, his stubbornness and persistence led to an argument. He couldn't handle what his mother was saying so he marched to his bedroom to grab his backpack and luggage. Jaehwa sat there, puzzled, on as to why her son grabbed his things for his trip that was tomorrow.

"I'll be with Taejun," he exclaimed, and just like that, he left. Not even saying goodbye to his mother who he left at the kitchen table.

The next day rolled around. Jaehyun and his best friend Taejun were very excited to board the ferry that was scheduled to arrive few minutes prior on the dock they stood upon. Students from other schools were also waiting to board it. As they were wandering around in the crowd of fellow students, Taejun accidentally bumped shoulders with a man. Hard.

He whipped his head around at the man to apologize. "I'm sorry, are you--" he interrupted himself as he makes eye contact with the man. He looked really pale, and his eyes were so red that Taejun thought that he was possessed by a demon. He didn't finish his sentence, and just bowed his head apologetically to the man, making mental note of his helmsman uniform.

Jaehyun patted his friend on the shoulder. "Hey, we should get back." The two friends walked back by the time the ferry arrived, with their carry ons and luggage in hand. They met up with the rest of their swim team, and were assigned into rooms. Jaehyun and Taejun settled their things beside their beds. While unpacking, both of them talked about how they were very excited to compete and were confident to win since they trained hard for the past few months. Jaehyun specialized in the 100 meter freestyle category, whereas Taejun competed in the 100 meter backstroke category. The two teammates conversed with one another until they drifted off to sleep.

Helmsman Kim Dojoon was at the steering wheel of the ferry when he made an abrupt turn to the right, making the ferry slightly go off course about 145 degrees. This was not suppose to happen. All of a sudden, the steering wheel gets stuck. The ferry gradually shifts to the right, leaning on its side. The captain makes an announcement, ordering all passengers to stay where they are and don't move. Out of greed and selfishness, the crew puts on life jackets, saving themselves when they were supposed to leave after all the passengers on board were rescued. With the crew gone, the passengers were abandoned, trapped inside.

Jaehyun and Taejun woke up to announcements being made. Both of them put on life jackets, then they waited. Jaehyun texted his mother, telling her that he loves her and that he's sorry for acting disrespectful to her before he left for the trip. He apologizes that he's going to die, leaving her so early. His phone ran out of battery and he chucks it across the room since there's no use for it anymore.

A loud crash was heard through windows. Water had flowed in, and choruses of screams and cries coming from the hallways were heard. Jaehyun closed his eyes. He felt cold water rising up to his head. Gradually, he was drowning.

If only he knew, his mother arrived in Jeju, waiting for him.

Word Count: 897

April 2019

Never Forget