The Next Doctor (Part 1)

A/N: This is only the first chapter, no others will be posted on this site. I only made this account because another wattpad user had started to post my stories without my permission. If you would like to read the rest of the completed story, please see the external link ;)

~8~ is a scene break

'italics' is telepathic speaking

Disclaimer: I do not own Doctor Who...or we would have known more than a week and a half in advance when Series 7 was starting!

~8~

The Next Doctor (Part 1)

Evy and the Doctor were lying on the Doctor's bed, well, on their bed, on their sides, staring at each other, Evy's left arm lying between their bodies, held by the Doctor's right. She had finally told him all about her time at the Mason Institute, not that she had to as he had seen it all when he'd Linked to her, but she felt like she owed it to him after having kept it hidden for so long.

"I understand why you didn't tell me," he told her quietly, his left hand brushing a lock of hair from her eyes.

"I don't think I do," she sighed, "Not really. It was like, I wanted to tell you, I didn't want there to be secrets but…something just kept stopping me."

He stared deep into her eyes, searching her thoughts, putting words to them, "You were scared, that I would see you as less than who you are," he smiled softly, "As though that were possible."

She smiled as well.

He grew serious, "Why were you scared of me Linking to you?" he looked at her, he'd sensed it right after he'd Linked to her, she had been terrified of it. He knew why, but she needed to say it, to get it out there.

"Lots of things," she admitted, "That you hadn't been ready. That you'd still want Rose even after…that you wouldn't feel anything for me period."

She had gotten quite good at forcing herself not to see the love growing between them.

He nodded slowly, there had been one or two cases in all of Gallifrey's history of a set of Links where one party felt the love that often developed while the other party just saw them as someone they shared a connection with and nothing more.

"You believed you didn't deserve love," she said quietly, "I know that was why you thought you'd never find your Link."

"You," he whispered, smiling.

"Me," she agreed with a little laugh, "I think I believed I didn't deserve you…that I wouldn't be good enough for you," she laughed a bit, more scornfully though, "I'm no Rose."

He reached out and cupped her cheek, "You're right, you're not Rose," he leaned forward and kissed her gently, "You're you. You're Evy. You're Luna."

He pulled back just enough so that their foreheads were still touching and smiled at her.

"I love you," he whispered.

She smiled, "I love you too."

~8~

The Doctor had a trip planned out, though Evy was a bit nervous as he was currently hiding those thoughts from her so she had no idea what lay outside the TARDIS. But she trusted the Doctor. It was either going to be a calm trip…she snorted to herself…or one full of adventure, her favorites.

He stood by the door, holding her coat to help her into it, taking a moment to take her in, her forest green dress and red leggings were perfect for this trip even if she didn't know it yet. He smiled, taking her hand and leading her outside. They were under a stone bridge with snow all over the ground. She smiled, she did love the snow, actual real snow and not ones that resulted in some sort of atmospheric disturbance. She looked at the Doctor, laughing as he turned and led her along and into a busy street market. There were stalls decked out with green garlands and red bows, hawkers of mistletoe and chestnuts as well as carolers. Everyone was dressed in late 19th century garb.