Chapter 1: Fate's Changes

It was a dark night, Darker than all other nights, though the full moon still shone. The light that the moon gave shone on a house in the village of Godric's Hollow, The house looked like other houses in the neighborhood, nothing special at first glance. But apparently two figures in the dark were very interested in the family who lived in it.

One of them opened the fence and together, they walked into the garden to the house where the lights still burned. When they were at the front door of the building, the second man quickly and soundlessly pulled an object out of his pocket and whispered something softly. The door opened with a bang.

They walked inside and for a moment, they bathed in the bright light. The small man who had opened the fence looked rat-like and dirty, with tufts white hair on his head. His watery eyes glanced, frightened at the other's black robes. That man was serpentine but handsome , with dark hair, his face as blank as a vampire. And his eyes, that studied the hall were red, like blood.

"Pettigrew," the tall man said to the Peter Pettigrew, Pettigrew was shaking and waited for the command of his master Lord Voldemort. "Take care of James Potter," Lord Voldemort said softly. He went slowly upstairs, leaving Pettigrew behind in his wake. Pettigrew walked up to the young man in his thirties.

The man, James Potter, had scruffy black hair and brown eyes, that were darting around about as he looked for his wand. He seemed shocked and panicked, and the fact his hairs stuck up so much it looks like it was electrocuted added to his.

James felt so stupid that he wasn't on guard, but there was no time to be furious at himself. The most important thing was to find his wand and to save his family. He heard footsteps and turned round. A wave of relief went through him when he saw that it was his old friend Peter who had come into the room.

"Phew, it's you, Peter. Is this yet another emergency exercise? That's the third time this month, but I still failed," he laughed.

James stopped when he saw that Peter didn't laugh. Peter pulled his wand from his pocket and pointed it slowly at James.

"Hey, mate, what ar-"

Before James could finish his sentence, Peter had already shot a purple spell to him. The spell hit him in the chest and he slumped to his knees.

"Sorry, James," Peter whispered gently to James, who passed out and lay motionless on the floor.

While the little guy offered his apologies over and over again to James Potter, Lord Voldemort had already arrived in the baby room, his wand pointed at the red-haired woman, who tried to sheild her baby with her own body.

"Get out of my way, Mudblood," snarled the man, his patience running out.

Lily Potter shook her head. "Take my life but... save my child please," she begged.

"Go," he said, giving her one last chance. Lily didn't obey him. Voldemort was tired of it and a non-verbal spell that came from his wand hit Lily. She fell to the ground.

Voldemort's attention focused on the baby that lay in his cot. He walked carefully to the baby, wand in his hand, watching him. He was still sleeping with a blanket pulled over him, just the face, eyes shut, poking out. Voldemort wondered briefly if this child really was going to be his downfall... He now stood a metre away from the baby. Detecting the magic of the baby, Voldemort frowned.

It was too familiar. Voldemort had felt this before, but couldn't remember where. He sighed. It couldn't be that he had felt this before. This was the first time he saw the baby personnally and the boy was only 1. He would certainly still remember what happened a year ago. He focused all his attention on the boy again, determined to kill him.