Chapter 22: Better Things To Do

I kick off my flip flops before we step into the sand and carry them down to where Reed's Jeep is parked. He's staked out an awesome spot to watch the amateur division. Only A.J. is with him, and neither will make a big deal out of the fact that Vin and I are approaching the shoreline hand-in-hand.

"I knew it!"

I recognize the voice vaguely, in that way like I should totally know it yet I don't. I look over my shoulder, and it's impossible to miss the only guy on the beach wearing a real flower lei, straight from that Hawaiian culture he was born and raised in.

"You totally denied it," Kale says, walking up on the other side of me. "You said you weren't messing with Brooks."

"And at the time, I wasn't," I reply. I still wouldn't say I'm "messing with" Vin, whatever Kale means by that. I can only imagine.

Kale laughs. "It's cool. He needs someone. He's been lonely way too long."

Vin shrugs his shoulders then shakes his head. "I love how everyone just talks about me like I'm not standing here." Luckily he laughs after he says it. "I'll be back. I'm going to give Topher one of those brotherly lectures before he goes in."

By 'brotherly', I hope he means wishing Topher good luck and telling him to be careful rather than chewing him out for still wanting to compete. Every time Topher surfs in the Pacific, he's surfing with the ashes of the one other person Vin really cared about. Still, that's not enough for Vin. And I get that – he doesn't want to lose Topher next.

Kale walks along with Vin but veers off from the competition crowd to meet up with Miles and Jace. I'll miss this – the atmosphere and community and people – when I leave tonight. The east coast doesn't have any West Coast Hooligans.

I walk over to Topher's truck and sit down next to A.J. on the tailgate. "Thanks for saving me a seat," I say.

"No problem," he says. He stares ahead, I think. His sunglasses hide his eyes. "I'm glad you stayed. Topher's never competed before. We're all scared. We've given enough to the ocean. We deserve to keep Topher."

"And we will," Reed says. He slides in next to me on the tailgate. "Prayer circle in ten. We're waiting for Theo to get down here from Colby's competition."

*****  

Ten minutes later, we're lingering around the lifeguard stand as Theo approaches us. He's still wearing his red lifeguarding shirt with a whistle dangling from his neck. Vin walks back up to where we are with Topher, who is decked out in his wetsuit like a real surfer. He looks so serious. He looks like his brother. And although I haven't been introduced to the man with them, I know he's Joe McAllister.

We look like a pack of tropical Skittles in our brightly colored Great White Surf competition shirts. Joe and I are the only ones who chose lime green, and it makes me smile. Shark's dad has style.

"Alright, if you guys will, let's all join hands," Kale says.

It surprises me that he's the one leading the prayer circle. He's even more "life of the party" than A.J. and Topher combined. If there's any one person in California who is all about partying, fun, and absolute nonsense, it's Kale.

But I still do as he says and lock hands with A.J. on my right and Reed on my left. Across the circle, Topher is between Joe and Vin, like he's absorbing good vibes and protection on both sides. I bow my head upon Kale's signal, close my eyes, and listen.

"Today, we call upon Kanaloa and ask him to protect one of our own," Kale begins. "Please be with Topher today as he surfs in your waters. Guide him carefully through your waves, allowing him to catch the best and dodge the worst. Please call upon the spirit of our fallen friend Shark McAllister to swim beneath his board and keep him safe. Let him ride in a way that makes you proud. Amen."