↞ six

junkyard
{olivia's pov}

all five of us were staring through the tall gated fence which revealed the old junkyard. on the fence, there was a sign that read:

NO TRESPASSING
KEEP OUT

i don't think any of us payed any attention to it, though.

"hey, vern. i think your ma's been out driving again," gordie said, breaking the silence.

"that's so funny i forgot to laugh," he replied.

"can you guys quit bitchin' at each other already so we can get this over with?" i asked.

"stand back, men!" teddy yelled as he threw his belongings over the tall fence. we all followed his lead as he began to climb. chris pulled me over to the side gently while holding my arm.

"do you think you can climb that?" he asked.

"excuse me?" i asked in disbelief. "of course i can," i said, slightly offended. i tugged my arm out of his grip and began climbing it. gordie was waiting for us on the other side while teddy was screaming things i couldn't understand with vern at his side.

"teddy's crazy," gordie said. we listened to teddy for a moment and i couldn't help but let out a small laugh. i grabbed my things and straightened out my clothes.

"yeah. he won't live to be twenty, i bet," chris said.

"glad olivia isn't like him," gordie said while smiling at me and playfully elbowed my arm. i smiled back and sighed.

"yeah, he's pretty crazy. i can only keep him sane for so long," i sighed. gordie glanced at chris.

"do you remember the time you saved him in the tree?" chris nodded.

"yeah. i dream about that sometimes, except in the dream i always miss him. i get a couple of his hairs and down he goes. it's weird," he explained as he began walking. gordie and i followed.

"yeah that is weird," gordie started. "but you didn't miss him. chris chambers never misses, does he?"

"not even when the ladies leave the seat down," he said as he spit through a circle he made with his fingers. i rolled my eyes. dorks.

"i'll race you both," chris said, changing the subject. he must've seen me roll my eyes, or he just found an excuse to keep a conversation going. gordie looked at me and winked, then looked back down to the ground.

"no, i don't think so," gordie said. was it weird i knew exactly what gordie was doing? at my old school, i used to love to play that trick on boys who thought they were faster than me. i won almost every time.

"yeah, i agree with gordie," i said.

"oh c'mon, right to the pump," he said.

"nah, i'm kinda tire-" i wasn't able to finish because gordie and i started sprinting past chris. i was in front of gordie by just a little when chris came running behind the both of us. i didn't look back, even though i was tempted to.

"you're dead, lachance and duchamp!" chris shouted. i was still in front, but probably not for long. "it looks like lachance and duchamp have got him this time. they got chambers beat! but what's this? chambers is making his move!" chris commentated the race as if it were real. chris and i were right next to each other. i was determined to win. and i did. barely.