Chapter Fourteen: An Abrupt Ending

"How's your arm?" I ask Peter over the phone the next day.

"Almost totally healed. The doctors told me not to do anything too crazy for a few days though," Peter replies, his voice slightly muffled by the sound of wind.

"And what exactly are you doing right now?" I ask, knowing full well what the answer will be.

"Uh-- I'm just... Well," Peter stammers.

"You're patrolling the city, aren't you?" I ask. "Peter, you're going to hurt yourself!"

"I'm being careful! Ish."

"Ish? You're being careful-ish?" I exclaim. "I swear--"

"I'm fine, Lee! Ow..."

"'Ow'? What's 'ow'?" I ask anxiously, imagining any number of things.

"Nothing! I just, er, stubbed my toe! On a ledge," Peter replies hurriedly.

"Peter," I half-laugh. "You're almost as bad at lying as Steve."

"Really?" Peter asks. "I dunno, I think I'm a little better than him, right?"

"Okay, maybe a little bit. But only a little bit. Almost an infinitesimal amount really."

"Ouch. Okay then," Peter says, laughing. "No need to be so rude about it."

I glance at my watch and swear. "I've gotta go, Peter. I was supposed to start training with Loki ten minutes ago. I'll call you later!"

"Okay. Be careful, though. I don't trust him," Peter warns.

"You and most of the team, but give him a chance. Bye!" I hang up, jogging down the hall, only to find Loki on the living-room couch reading a book.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

Loki glances at me, then back at whatever he is reading. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"It looks like you're wasting time. We're supposed to be training," I retort.

"Well, what were you doing?" Loki questions.

"Nothing," I snap. "Never mind. Let's just go."

He follows me down to the gym, where we find Natasha waiting for us.

"Nat is going to supervise because she apparently doesn't trust me to be able to handle you on my own," I say, rolling my eyes.

"A wise choice," Loki says, smirking.

I look him up and down. "You're going to have to wear something more... gym appropriate."

Loki's sweater and jeans shimmer, replaced by training armor.

I purse my lips to keep back a laugh. "Um, no. No armor either."

Loki sighs, shimmering once more. His clothes turn into black gym shorts, a black t-shirt, and black tennis shoes, his hair tied back in a bun, which actually suits him.

"Better," I say, grabbing a roll of protective tape and wrapping my hands. I hold it out for him but he waves me off. "Okay, then. Let's get started. Five laps around the gym, go!"

I start off at a light jog, waiting for Loki to catch up. He easily passes me and I have to speed up to keep pace with him.

At the end of our five laps, I'm hot and sweaty, while Loki is barely breathing hard.

I walk over to the bench to grab a water, nearly tripping over my own foot in the process.

"Careful there, burlufotr," Loki says with a smirk.