Order of the Phoenix | Year 1 Part 23

*I didn't even proof read this, oof. I also put a Wampus picture in because, idk*

"He smiled, wide and proud, face rosy with the sting of frost, and eyes squinting in the sunlight shining off the snow. "

Tomorrow, tomorrow was the day (y/n) would go with her parents to Kings Cross Station on the train back to Hogwarts.  It had only been two weeks, but it seemed like a lifetime away from the routine of magical lessons and meals at the great hall.  The new year was a few days ago, but (y/n) didn't do much for celebration, for she didn't see much of the point.  The earth had survived another journey around its star, the days were getting lighter, and all around the world, feasts of Gods and Goddesses, or for no true reason at all, had been eaten.  

She wanted this, though, to leave her home once again for the ancient castle.  Even with the reign of Umbridge and the persecution of the ministry, she loved school just as much as she had loved her last one.  Of course, finding someone to love their had helped the transition.  Even if she did hide this fact from her parents.

Speaking of such, she had remembered lately that not only did most of students at school know about their romance, but so did Snape.  (Y/n) knew that he favored Draco, not only because he was a Slytherin, but for some family relations unclear to her.  She hoped that Draco had convinced him to keep this information to himself until they decided to tell their families themselves.  She figured he had done something of the sorts, since the Malfoy's hadn't been informed already.  She would have to ask Draco about this later.  

This day, the one before she would leave, she spent with her parents.  In the morning, around eight o'clock, her and her father took a stroll in the garden and down their long deserted street.  The road wasn't even paved, just dirt and weathered stones.  There were some parts of the road were a thick forrest blocked all views of the surrounding fields.  But, soon enough, they would come to clearings on both sides, showing mountains far off in the distance, grey and deep blue. 

They talked mindlessly, about his book, or about Ilvermorny.  She asked of he had any news of the school, he said that Pukwudgie was leading in Quodpot, but Thunderbird was just behind.  He also casually mentioned that a boy by the name of Emerson Lie had received invitation from Thunderbird, Horned Serpent and Wampus.  He had chosen Wampus, which he gloated about.  She knew he said this to further her ego, which was never very large, because her legacy had not yet been beaten.  Over fifty years ago was he last one like (y/n), and this still remained.  Everyone was always making such a fuss over it, when (y/n) herself didn't think it held much merit.  It had happened when she was eleven, and only once.  The statues in the large, round front room never moved for her again, and they never would.  And although her friends and teachers used to talk about it often, her memory was always completely different than theirs.  When they spoke of it, it was usual like a glorious epic, as if she were like Orpheus playing a lyre for Cerberus.  (y/n), however, did not remember it this way.

She was small and shaking, she remembers, as one by one the first years were called up to the center to be sorted.  The round loft surrounding the room, high above her was filled with the other students, wearing their house plaques.  Then, her name was called, "(l/n), (y/n)!" by one of her professors.  She walked up, feet feeling light, but her arms feeling as if they had been filled with water.  Unlike Hogwarts, no hat was placed upon her head or stool to sit on.  It was only her, the tall tower, and the four wooden figures which were unmoving.  For a split second, after she had reached the center, she had thought none would move for her, because it had felt like ages.  But then, a glowing light came into view from the corner of her eye and she turned her head.  A stone in the center of the Horned Serpents face had lit.  Not another second went by, when the enormous Pukwudgie stood up straight and drew his arrow high into the air, as if he were to hit a student up on the balcony.  (y/n) looked around, settling on her professor, who was still waiting patiently.  Next, large bird at the opposite side of the Pukwudgie beat its wings, sending a gust of air through the room.  As (y/n) gazed at the majestic bird, everyone looking at her in awe, a loud roar sent another wave through the room.  She turned quickly on her heels, and saw the panther, front legs straight and proud, teeth barred and mouth open to the sky.  

A murmur swept through the cow of students, both on the balcony and the floor, but no hoots or cheers.  (y/n) was hoping she wouldn't have to choose, that only one would move of her and she wouldn't be left waiting.  Now, everyones eyes are even more glued to her, and h heart raced even faster Han before.  She didn't know where she belonged.  Wampus, like her father, Horned Serpent, much like the Ravenclaws her mother was apart of?  Or, Pukwudgie, often skilled in potions and the art of divination?  Or, lastly, Thunderbird, the souls, the fiery spirits and independent.  She looked at the figures once again, and faced Thunderbird, before choosing.

"Thunderbird." (y/n) said, quietly.  But, her voice traveled easily in the open room, and the ovation was defining.  Everyone was clapping, screaming her name louder than necessary.  The Thunderbirds, they stomped their feet and shot blue sparks up into the air. (y/n) heard this only in the background, as if it were happening in another room.  The professor shouted something which made them stop, but (y/n) doesn't remember what.  All she does remember, was the way her feet floated to the rest of the Thunderbird first years, and the feeling of her head not being on her shoulders.  During the rest of the ceremony, (y/n) felt as if she was going to vomit, or worse, faint.  

The four years she spent at Ilvermorny were mazing, to say the least, but that first day followed her wherever she went.  First years would come to her at meals and ask her about it, and she would have to politely shoo them away.  At first, everyone wanted to be her friend, but their interest faded once (y/n) hid away in the library alone so much.  She had a few close friends, and that was all she needed.  The only good thing about having a reputation, that she could recall, was how she never had to wait very long for a boy to ask her to the annual dance at the end of the year.  

After he father mentioned this, (y/n) changed the subject, "I miss it, but I miss Hogwarts too.  I'm happy to be going back." 

Her father didn't say anything at first, he just looked forward and sighed, "I was worried, about you, going to a new school." 

(y/n) looked perplexed.  Her father wasn't someone who worried too much, only about dad-things, like boys and how good of a dueler she was (which he wanted her to be the best). 

"Your mom, she was sure you would be fine.  She loved it so much, that even if you weren't in Ravenclaw, she just knew you would find your home there."  He looked at her and smiled "I just didn't want my little girl to be alone." 

"Oh, I'm not."  She smiled back to him. 

"Yes," he looked forward again, taking in the scent of the crisp air "you've found your little niche."

"Yes, I have.  Everyone there seems to know just where they belong, they helped me find that place, too." 

"Do you?" He asked.

"Do I what?" 

"Do you really know where you belong?" he paused, "You don't always have to.  I didn't, thats for sure." he chuckled, "I was a troublemaker, you know that.  I didn't do my work, all I card about was Quodpot and 'the best years of my life'." He air quoted.

"But you had your roommates, your friends." 

"Yeah, but, I didn't think about anything bigger than myself, than my house.  Its better to stand with something that isn't just what color robes you wear and the company you keep.  Sometimes to really, really know who you are, you have to ask yourself, what kind of world do I want to live in?"

"How am I sopossed to do that now? I'm sixteen."

"When I was your age, there was a war going on right underneath my nose, and I didn't even know it." His voice was strong and deliberate.

"Not in America."

"No, but in the Wizarding world.  It had been brewing since I was born, and I didn't pay any attention." he paused, "You are much smarter than me, (y/n), smarter than I could ever be, and you have to decide what to do with that brain of yours.  Will you think of new potions to cure broken bones, or will you build a world that you want your children to be apart of?"

Neither of them spoke for a while, but they kept on walking, this time back towards the house. 

"Potions sounds a whole lot easier."  (y/n) said.  Her father looked at her strangely, because he had not expected that answer "but I've never really enjoyed potions anyway." 

He smiled, wide and proud, face rosy with the sting of frost, and eyes squinting in the sunlight shining off the snow.