Chapter Two: History

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."                                      -Søren Kierkegaard

-The Firsts-

To understand the future you must first understand the past. And to understand the past you must go back in time. The best way to do that is to go to the beginning. The beginning of what exactly? The start of the sudden, and random, superhuman ability gifting; the choice of who or what caused this is random and enigmatic. Those who gained these abilities did great things. At least they did before dying inexplicably after only a short amount of time. The longest amount of time someone of the original group of twelve survived was a mere month and a half; it is shrouded in mystery, and locked away from the rest of history- as if someone doesn't want anyone to know what happened. No one remembers a single thing these Twelve did. From what I can remember it was perhaps two hundred years ago; that is a guess of uncertainty, not omission. All I know for sure is that I am the only survivor of the Twelve. And I know I just told you everyone had died, and they did. I meant to say everybody, but me, died. This I can remember, and what happened to us that day, the day I lost my closet friends, and was on the cusp of death.

To say it felt as if my body was halfway in both the world of the dead and the living would be an understatement. It was more like barely having a fingertip across the line into the world of those alive, and the rest of my body on the side of death. I was only to make it out of dying by the "mercy" of my attacker, who called it mercy only because he said he "had grown tired and bored and simply was done". Before fading out of consciousness he said to me "I must rest... these injuries are too much, but I will be back."

I could barely hear him through my blood soaked ears.

"If you come for me again when I return, I will be much stronger and, I-

And that is all I heard before passing out.

After waking up, surrounded by death and destruction, covered in ash, days later, I wept. I wept for hours, not moving from my spot. The spot where I fell in the last effort to defeat the greatest threat to mankind. The spot where I could have died, but the earths greatest threat spared me simply because he was bored. I lay for a few more hours, unable to move, not only from the immense pain all over my body, but because I knew not what to do. All my friends were dead, my family too, and I had nowhere to run to where anyone would understand my pain. I started to weigh my options of where I could go.

That is when they came; the ones who came and covered all of this up. They seemed strange at first, and at first I couldn't figure it out. It as in where they came from, or, even, who they were. When they came, which I'm not entirely sure what I had saw, they fell from some sort of strange purple oval-shaped door in the sky. It sounds weird, but when you see what I saw- what I did- its not strange at all. In fact that is the closet to "normal" I've seen in a long time. They almost seemed like they were forced through what they fell through. Because when the door opened they seemed to spill out, and fall into a pile. They seemed to be no organization to what they were doing either. When they got up from their man pile, they seemed very confused. It was like they had no idea what they were doing, or where they were at even.

As if a lever was switched on, they all stood straight where they were at, and sat frozen. Everything but their eyes were covered, and I could see them change. Their eyes changed from their original colors and began to glow a bright yellow-red. Not just the irises, but the entirety of their eyes. Their pupils faded away, and the white space of their eyes soon followed suite. Then, they moved. They began clearing all of the rubble and extinguishing the fire. They took the, very few, survivors to safety. Lastly they came to me after everything was done. Then... that's the last thing I remember.