Chapter Three

When Alexi had reappeared in front of the oncoming soldiers they surrounded him in an instant, weapons at the ready. He stayed still, waiting for one of them to attack. To his disappointment, none of the nameless soldiers seemed to take his offer. "C'mon show a little more resolve will ya?" he pouted. Raising his hand, Alexi produced three throwing knives seemingly out of nowhere. Grasping each of them between his fingers, he let the crisp metal reflect the harsh sunlight. Then, with a swift movement of his arm, he launched the knives, sending them flying directly into three soldiers. All three targets collapsed without fail. They hadn't been hit in any vital areas, but the slight spark of red electricity showed the reason behind their loss of consciousness.

At the sight of their fallen comrades, several Raiders began to charge at him. "Now this is more like it!" Alexi proclaimed. Materializing more knives, he tossed them at each approaching soldier. Each of them dropping to the ground like flies.

Behind him, a Raider wielding a lance raced toward him. Before the Raider even had a chance to strike, Alexi disappeared once again in a spark of red. The soldier came to an abrupt stop as he lost sight of Alexi. "You lookin' for me?" Pain flared in the soldier's back as a strong electric shock coursed through him and brought him to unconsciousness. Alexi stood triumphantly as the Raider fell. Standing triumphantly, Alexi's smile didn't falter as he eyed the rest of the soldiers. Their numbers had certainly dwindled in the short time since his arrival.

With all of the braver and more reckless Raiders already on the ground, things had come to a standstill. The few remaining soldiers were much more wary of Alexi. Although he was disappointed at the turn of events, Alexi didn't let his smile falter. Rather, with a quick flick of his wrist, he sent a knife hurtling in a random direction toward one of the Raiders.

But Alexi didn't hear the telltale shock of electricity.

He whirled his head around and was surprised to see that his knife had been caught just before it was able to hit its target. The one who had grabbed hold of the knife was a young man with unruly auburn hair and heterochromatic eyes. One of his irises was a piercing gold while the other was a dark navy blue. His attire differed from uniforms of the other Raider soldiers. Instead of the drab and blank white cloaks that Alexi was familiar with seeing among the other Raiders. This new challenger's clothing was embellished with glistening gemstones and intricate golden designs. The decorations were definitely runes with the purpose of protection. Alexi knew that all Raiders' uniforms were enchanted with defensive magic. But extra ornaments were only added to the uniforms of higher ranked officials of the Raiders.

There was no way the man standing before him, white cape waving in the wind, was an adult. He looked to be about a teenager still. There ain't no way this kid is a high-ranking official... Alexi thought.

"Are you alright?" came the voice of the teen. He turned to the soldier whom he had saved from Alexi's knife. "You, as well as the others here, should regroup with everyone in the main force," he instructed. Facing Alexi, who was still smiling, he narrowed his eyes in scrutiny and stared at him with firm conviction. "I'll take of this here."

"A-are you certain that is a good decision, Lieutenant?" the Raider asked cautiously. Alexi was surprised, to say the least. Seriously? This kid is a lieutenant? Today really is full of surprises.

The kid's gaze on Alexi didn't waver. He simply replied, "I'm sure that I can handle this here." The other Raiders hesitated for a second before rushing off.

Alexi watched as they scurried off toward where Leon and Marco were keeping guard. "Well, that's a bit disappointin'. I was really startin' to enjoy that," he stated, returning his gaze to the lone Raider challenging him. "But I guess I got somethin' more interesting anyway. Who are ya anyway?"