Resurrection

Something was chasing me.

I ran through the dark alley as fast as I could, throwing cautious glances behind my shoulder, training my eyes for any footsteps behind me. Something was wrong. I just didn't know what. Where was Vincent? We had just been together- hadn't we? I couldn't remember. All I knew was that I had to run.

My lungs threatened to burst as I ran through all the twist and turns of what seemed to actually be a maze instead of an ally. When I caught a glimpse I light, I hurried for it, wondering if it was the exit. Just before I reached it, a massive black shadow jumped out from the darkness, hitting me with such force I slammed onto the ground. I struggled as hands wrapped around my throat.

"Help," I tried to get out, my voice strangled. "Help! Help-"

"Emily! Wake up!"

My eyes shot open and I saw Vincent hovering above me, his eyes wide in concern. Swallowing, I sat up, feeling sweat run down my face. "What?"

"You were making weird noises. Did you have a nightmare?"

"Yeah... but I never have nightmares," I murmured, taking his arm and putting it around myself. "Even when I was human."

Vincent frowned at me. "I heard if you talk about your nightmare you won't fall back into it when you go to sleep again."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "That's some useful information. Your brain isn't completely useless after all."

He scowled a bit. "I have years of knowledge, Emily. Nice try."

"Just kidding. I don't remember much. I was running and someone attacked me. It felt like an anxiety dream. But what do I have to be anxious about?" I told him, biting my lower lip. "The dreams I have about my family are one thing, but this was different. It felt like whatever it was wanted to kill me."

Vincent ruffled my hair. "Maybe you were dreaming about Ashton. I still have dreams about it sometimes."

"Maybe. Whatever. It's just a nightmare. I shouldn't be scared anyway. I'm not a human anymore. I can defend myself now. I'm super strong." To prove my point, I flexed my scrawny arm.

Vincent rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but you need to be especially careful when around humans."

"Why?"

"Because you look like you can barely lift thirty pounds, so don't go around lifting cars."

"I'm not Edward."

"How do you know Edward? I don't think you've met him yet."

I stared at Vincent. "No... he's a fictional vampire. You know what? Never mind. I don't think you got my reference last time either. I'm going to go back to sleep. We're visiting Sebastian tomorrow, aren't we?"

Vincent nodded. "Yeah, but you probably don't need much more sleep-"

"My human side says I need eight hours. Wake me up then," I said, rolling over and pulling the blankets over me.

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me. "I'll stay up. Someone has to protect you from nightmares for the rest of the night."

Fortunately, the rest of the night passed without incident and we were awoken to William bounding into our bed, screaming happily that we were going to visit his dad. Vincent picked him up and pretended like he was going to throw him across the room, but Fiona appeared, disarming him with a hard stare. William fell back onto the bed and crawled to me. "Hi Auntie Em."