Chapter 14- Seven Reasons

A FEW DAYS HAD PASSED since Andre’s parents left. Elizabeth and Vincent were permitted to finish their tests after a harsh talking-to. Andre mysteriously “passed” all his tests without even having to retake them, and despite Annie’s stubborn denials, Elizabeth suspected that the Chairman’s lovely little daughter had pulled more than a few strings.

            Things were back to normal, more or less.

            It was lunchtime now, and with this being the last week of school before Christmas break, the cafeteria buzzed with excitement.

            Annie, seeming determined to ruin everyone’s mood, trudged up to the usual spot with a look of death on her gaunt face. Even so, Elizabeth couldn’t help puffing up with pride.

            Annie’s new look, lifeless or not, was dazzling.

            Her shiny blonde hair now framed the soft edges of her face, its heavily layered ends curling up at the tips. She complained about how long hair was better, but in Elizabeth’s opinion, this wild, impish look suited Annie’s personality best.

            She clearly wasn’t the only one who thought this.

            “You look tired today, Annie,” a few guys eating at the tables hollered. “Sick of school already, huh? We’re going to my parents’ hotel after this. If you want, you can—”

            Annie whirled around and hissed at them.

            Elizabeth laughed as the boys cowered in fear. “Not feeling well?”

            “Everyone’s so excited about the holidays,” Annie huffed as she plopped down onto the grass beside her best friend. “It makes me sick to my stomach! I hope they all drop dead!”

            Yup. This tomboy hairstyle definitely suited her.

            “I’ll listen to what happened, so please kindly refrain from cursing everyone to death like that,” Elizabeth sighed. “You’re going to burst a vein.”

            “It’s that stupid Andre!” her friend shouted around a mouthful of cheese bagel. “Daddy says that I have to make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble, what with him living alone and stuff. I have to check his place every freaking night and he doesn’t make it easy, either!”

            “It can’t be helped,” Elizabeth shrugged. “They sold their house — of course Andre needs to find another entire mansion to live in all by himself.”

            Annie didn’t catch the sarcasm.

            “But why did he have to pick the one next to mine?” she continued in a whine. “His room’s so close that I can literally see him walking around through his window. It’s so embarrassing!”